TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Joined
·
9,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've got a pair of the Monroe quick strut assemblies and am all ready to replace the front shocks with them. The springs on the new shockss are wide enough near the bottom for a spring compressor to fit, however there is no way it will fit anywhere above the halfway point on the spring. How am I supposed to get the thing squeezed to the point where they'll compress it enough to get it on the car, much less come off once I've got the thing on the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Yeah, just get the compressor as wide as you can and compress it down. This should give you enough clearance to get the nut tightened on the top of the shock.
 

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Joined
·
9,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hm, I'll give it a whirl. I'll have two days to get everything done, if not both sides then just the right. As far as the 'quick strut' goes, is there anything you need to do other than simply take the old one out and bolt the new one in? I read the instructions and it looks like it wants me to reuse parts??

The other thing I'm doing is replacing the upper ball joint and control arm; I assume that's a basic unbolt and remove the old one and bolt the new one in?
 

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
Joined
·
6,253 Posts
the monroe assembly is supposed to be complete: upper mount, spring, shock. you should only need to reuse the 3 nuts @ the shock tower and the bottom shock to LCA bolt. although you could buy a new lower shock bolt
 

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Joined
·
9,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I see. As simple as getting the old one(s) out, fitting the new one in and bolting it up. I like that.
 

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Joined
·
9,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking of that beast of a bolt, it's stuck on!

I've got everything else undone; upper control arm and ball joint are out completely, the lower connection of the stabilizer bar link is unhooked and the nut on the lower shock bolt is off. That bolt won't budge though! I've worked on that thing with a hammer for quite a time now, even after it's been soaked in PB Blaster for hours!

Any tips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
Speaking of that beast of a bolt, it's stuck on!

I've got everything else undone; upper control arm and ball joint are out completely, the lower connection of the stabilizer bar link is unhooked and the nut on the lower shock bolt is off. That bolt won't budge though! I've worked on that thing with a hammer for quite a time now, even after it's been soaked in PB Blaster for hours!

Any tips?
Large C-Clamp or ball joint press. Or just replace your LCAs while you are there.

By the way, the springs on this cars are generally considered to be way too strong to use hand tools to compress. A wall-mounted spring compressor is really the safe way to do it. But it's not relevant to you right now because you are using the Quick-Struts anyway.
 

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Joined
·
9,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to get a socket on the bolt's head and turn it around a few times to loosen it up. I have a tie rod end lifter to help push on the other end of the bolt, but up until now all I've been able to do is get it out about 1/4" before it won't turn anymore. I think... I know the sleeve is rusted inside and the threads at the other end are binding in it as I'm unscrewing the bolt. The last thing I want to do is round off its head...

I'm just going to wait for someone to get home from work who knows where the darned blowtorch attachment is, then I'll blast that thing and beat it out. Hopefully.
 

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Joined
·
9,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ugh. I can't use a torch on that sleeve, I think it's held in by a rubber bushing of sorts and if I heat up the sleeve the bushing and control arm go to waste. I tried and the smell of burnt rubber filled the air.

I reassembled everything without getting the bolt out because we need the car and the weather takes a turn for the worse tomorrow. However I did manage to replace the upper control arm, if anything good came out of the day.

EDIT: I think I'll try to hack saw the head of the bolt off so I can pull it out the other way. I'll just need a new bolt.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top