TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
So, I've been looking at getting 5100 vs. 4600 series for the front of my Silverado. One item to note is the 5100 is sightly more stuff than the 4600 series, but 5100 had the adjustable spring perch for ride height.

Interesting thought for sure. I see the 2wd version did not have the lower shaft like the 4wd does, but the valving may be better馃

Registered
How about if the shock body happened to be small enough to slip into ours like the Bilstein insert mod. Would just have to leave an inch of the lower shaft to thread. I doubt we're that lucky.

I do have the inserts for mine, but following for future reference. F150s will be around for a while...

Registered
I do like all of the different heights on the Ram shock. That lowest one looks fairly similar to our height (CA to perch)

Registered
What's the distance to the spring cup mount for each level from the lower mounting hole? Not sure if anyone has the MN12 measurements.

Registered
Certainly low enough...

Registered
Ya, Bill is cheaper at that point. :oops:

Registered
Spring rate should be more than sufficient from one of those land barges

Registered
Hmm, wonder where that spring perch sits in regards to the perch to the ring land groove. Maybe the perch itself could be changed to lower the position of the spring.

Although, if it's moved too far down, the shock body will take up some of the travel. I still think the standoff cutting and welding is the best method here.

Registered
What was the reason for inserts to begin with? Anyone venture a guess?

I'm assuming cheaper to make than the shock body with spring perch, but I'd think that would be minimal. I could see that being the case if the insert was used in many different applications with the shock body modified for it to fit.

Registered
Doing some more searching, I see there are a decent number of koni inserts. One of interest was Saab 900. There are 4 others here. I'll have to do some searching for our dimensions and report back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts