TCCoA Forums banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Why not fix it
Hehe. Money and "stocking" fees
Aka having it sit in my driveway due to maxing out the garage with one tbird already in there. I would fix it as throwing one away doesn't sit right with me. Heck at the junk yard, I took out the hood release lever and when I returned it was closed lol. Someone took out the wheel I had up there and couldn't open it again. I had first dibs on that 1997 bird. When I returned, the near skinned it alive. They took out seats door panels and even speaker covers lol....

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,032 Posts
So I had an idea pop into my head in the wake of the promising 350Z retrofit, what really makes them work are those standoffs between the shock body and lower mount, if you fit a custom U shaped piece of steel under it as Mike did via welding or the possibility of a nut/bolt solution I have in mind another shock with that kind of standoff could work, regardless of whatever lower mount is underneath it, right? Well Check these out....

04-08 F150 w/4WD. Check out the dimensional specs compared to MN12 :),

Wouldn't think they'd be that close from a 4WD full size truck!

Better yet that rod machining looks like a much closer fit to the MN12 upper mount than the 350z shocks, and the lower perch placement might even be favorable to using MN12 springs. I'm not sure what the performance would be like but being its much a heavier vehicle than an MN12, and a quick google search suggests the spring rates for F150s are in the 500lb/in range, I'd expect these to be pretty stiff from ANY brand in our chassis, and they're cheap too - Motorcrafts on Rockauto are $58 each! Bilstein B6s are only $102 each!(though they're out of stock on a lot of sites).

Food for thought.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,089 Posts
So, I've been looking at getting 5100 vs. 4600 series for the front of my Silverado. One item to note is the 5100 is sightly more stuff than the 4600 series, but 5100 had the adjustable spring perch for ride height.

Interesting thought for sure. I see the 2wd version did not have the lower shaft like the 4wd does, but the valving may be better🤔

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
The lower shaft is key for it possibly working with us so it is what it is, that’s where I suspect OEM spec might be better than something like the stiffer Bilstein 5100 though? The ride height adjustment is presumably useless to us as I suspect those extra snap ring grooves are meant to raise the vehicle lol, but I do like the loose perch mounting system on the 5100, there might be the possibility of cutting the welds off a MN12 shock to free it from the tube and slip it right onto the F150 one depending on tube diameters

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,696 Posts
The lower shaft is key for it possibly working with us so it is what it is [...] there might be the possibility of cutting the welds off a MN12 shock to free it from the tube and slip it right onto the F150 one depending on tube diameters
I seem to recall Paul doing something like that a while back...

Yep, here's his thread.

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
I seem to recall Paul doing something like that a while back...

Yep, here's his thread.
That’s not exactly what I mean, I’d cut off the lower mount from the F150 shock and discard it entirely for a custom U bracket either welded or fastened to the standoff section, the only part of the factory MN12 shock I can see using is the spring perch itself, and that’s really only if the F150 one is inadequate for our springs.

I found that the F150 coil diameter is 5.3” but as you can see the spring diameter narrows toward the lower perch and I can’t find that spec anywhere. Our front springs are 4.75” IIRC so they may well fit the F150 perch if that’s close to what they narrow to.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,696 Posts
I follow now.

Well you've always said these cars look like they have the stance of a 4x4. Now with integrating F150 suspension parts, you can make it a reality!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
I follow now.

Well you've always said these cars look like they have the stance of a 4x4. Now with integrating F150 suspension parts, you can make it a reality!! :ROFLMAO:
One of the cars on the banner might have inspired me come to think of it :ROFLMAO:

Ironically actually it seems a 4x4 shock would sit lower on our chassis than a sports car shock

F150 4x4

Extended Length (IN)21.89

Collapsed Length (IN)16.34

Travel Length (IN)5.55

Nissan 350Z

Extended Length (in.) 23.940

Compressed Length (in.)19.450

Travel Length (in.) 4.490

MN12

Extended Length 20.500"

Compressed Length 16.375"

Travel Length 4.125"

More travel but it could be mitigated to some degree depending on where the custom lower bracket is placed.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
How about if the shock body happened to be small enough to slip into ours like the Bilstein insert mod. Would just have to leave an inch of the lower shaft to thread. I doubt we're that lucky.

I do have the inserts for mine, but following for future reference. F150s will be around for a while...

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
How about if the shock body happened to be small enough to slip into ours like the Bilstein insert mod. Would just have to leave an inch of the lower shaft to thread. I doubt we're that lucky.

I do have the inserts for mine, but following for future reference. F150s will be around for a while...
Wont work with these shocks at least, diameter for the B8s are listed at 47mm outer diameter, in S4gunn’s shockoptions thread he measured a Monroe Tbird shock tube at 45.39mm inner diameter

·
Registered
37 Posts
2011 to 2015 ram 1500 4x4. I seen these shocks several months ago, I didn't want to post until I can get to a parts store and compare, how wide the bottom mount is, and to see whether top shock mount can fit on the shaft. But they are very close to the F-150 4x4 a few post up as far as length and travel. I don't know someone may have already mentioned it but it's worth it to look into

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
2011 to 2015 ram 1500 4x4. I seen these shocks several months ago, I didn't want to post until I can get to a parts store and compare, how wide the bottom mount is, and to see whether top shock mount can fit on the shaft. But they are very close to the F-150 4x4 a few post up as far as length and travel. I don't know someone may have already mentioned it but it's worth it to look into View attachment 43634 View attachment 43635
The 6” travel makes me a little uncomfortable where the F150 ones, in theory anyway, could be shortened to compensate for their 5.5”. Still another promising choice, who’d’ve thunk 4x4 pickups were so close lol

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
The top mounting doesn't look as desirable to me with the RAM shocks, the F150 ones depending on diameter might just slip into our stock style upper mount without any modification, the RAM one the threads and step are quite short, much like some of the other shocks we've looked at, requiring some level of custom fab for the mount.

F-150 4x4

RAM

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 6” travel makes me a little uncomfortable where the F150 ones, in theory anyway, could be shortened to compensate for their 5.5”. Still another promising choice, who’d’ve thunk 4x4 pickups were so close lol
Lol, Yeah that's why I was a little hesitant on posting it, being that was for a 4x4 truck and I want to have some comparison until I saw the F-150 shock post, now I didn't feel so bad.

The ram shock is actually the one Im testing. Just havent had time to mess with it.
Oh cool, I figured someone else would have seen them.

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
Lol, Yeah that's why I was a little hesitant on posting it, being that was for a 4x4 truck and I want to have some comparison until I saw the F-150 shock post, now I didn't feel so bad.

Oh cool, I figured someone else would have seen them.
Hey, I thought I was nuts looking at the f-150 4x4 shock! Whatever might work is worth exploring IMO Travel aside(it'll just make the suspension droop more on jackstands) I like the Ram shocks better than the 350Z shocks, if for nothing else the spring perch isn't way up high forcing us to use Z springs. I have more confidence in the stiffness being higher too, I dont want to go through the trouble of making the Zs work and they feel exactly the same as my current Tokico blues

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I do like all of the different heights on the Ram shock. That lowest one looks fairly similar to our height (CA to perch)

41 - 60 of 96 Posts