TCCoA Forums banner
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,877 Posts
Hmm, wonder where that spring perch sits in regards to the perch to the ring land groove. Maybe the perch itself could be changed to lower the position of the spring.

Although, if it's moved too far down, the shock body will take up some of the travel. I still think the standoff cutting and welding is the best method here.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Throwing another insert out there for ideas. It'd need to be looked at in more detail to see if it can be adapted to our cars or not.

Koni 8641-1297 for '04 - '06 Pontiac GTO

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
What was the reason for inserts to begin with? Anyone venture a guess?

I'm assuming cheaper to make than the shock body with spring perch, but I'd think that would be minimal. I could see that being the case if the insert was used in many different applications with the shock body modified for it to fit.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,721 Posts
What was the reason for inserts to begin with? Anyone venture a guess?

I'm assuming cheaper to make than the shock body with spring perch, but I'd think that would be minimal. I could see that being the case if the insert was used in many different applications with the shock body modified for it to fit.
You got it, universal fit for multiple applications - there might be several models that use a basic spec shock but they could have different perches, spring diameters, mounts etc. That’s why they’re typically adjustable as well, but there are economy inserts that exist as well.

The koni inserts made for these were stupid though because apparently NOTHING shared the top hat specs 🤣

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
Yeah, ****; If I buy a new set of konis for the red car, they'll probably outlive me, bases on what I've put the ones on Lazarus thru. :)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Doing some more searching, I see there are a decent number of koni inserts. One of interest was Saab 900. There are 4 others here. I'll have to do some searching for our dimensions and report back.

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
The Gabriel shocks I had were the biggest/thickest metal shocks I had The koni's went right in.
The monroes I had were to small/ dia.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Anyone know an approximate lifetime of shocks in the original box, say kept in my house? Wondering if I should buy a second set of the 3000GT inserts for future use...

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Anyone know an approximate lifetime of shocks in the original box, say kept in my house? Wondering if I should buy a second set of the 3000GT inserts for future use...
I called qa1 and bilstein last year..They both answered with real American tech support and that was one of my questions. and they said 10+ years

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I will likely drop more Koni research before ordering anything, but don't want to be in a situation in 10+ years where I need new socks and have to start over. That being said, it would be nearly as cost effective right now to do the QA1 set-up and sell my Bilstein inserts and top hats. Then I'd think it wouldn't be an ongoing issue.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
A cost effective QA1 setup? I take it you wouldn't be going through Bill / SCP?

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
One of thr reasons I was interested in the tophats Randy made was for future Double adjustable race Konis.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
All you need are the brackets, @racecougar mentioned the name of the shop that builds them for Bill. The shocks and coils themselves are universal fit

Can you buy them directly from them? I'm definitely going to have to get them one way or the other, the front end is going to suck with the ultras on it.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,721 Posts
Can you buy them directly from them? I'm definitely going to have to get them one way or the other, the front end is going to suck with the ultras on it.
Not sure, Rod may know. They are Performance Artworks, I couldnt find a website i think they have a facebook page to contact

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
All you need are the brackets, @racecougar mentioned the name of the shop that builds them for Bill. The shocks and coils themselves are universal fit
Herp der derp!

Totally forgot about that!

101 - 120 of 136 Posts