TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went in to get my tires aligned because my steering was shaking like crazy and pulling to the right.

Turns out I have a broken spring and they want to change the front two spring, struts, and they also reminded me that I need to change my brake pads and rotors.
They are asking me over 1000 bucks for it, not including 4 new tires and alignment.

The problem is that my work just cut my hours by half, and I haven't been able to get a new job so im tight in money.

I can change the rotors and brake pads myself. But I might also want to try the struts and springs, are they hard to do? anyone have any experiences doing this?

Also, I been shopping around, and so far the cheapest parts place is autozone... Napa used to be my go to place but their prices are much higher then autozone lately. Anyone know any cheaper place?

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Yep shocks & springs will be a job, Best to have it up on a rack to do this work. Mr Robert P done my excellent work back in the summer :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hope that shop also offered personal lubricant for that price.

Take a look at rockauto.com for parts. They're not always the lowest, but more often than not I find myself ordering from them. Consider quality over cost if you're going to have the car for any decent amount of time.

The cheapie coil spring compressors will not work with these. Been there, tried that. If you have another vehicle you can use, your best bet is to take the old strut assembly and the new parts to a shop and have them change out the parts. I found a local shop that did this for about $40.

This may be an opportunity to upgrade with lowering springs and shocks for all four wheels. You said money was tight, but that can be a relative term. Shox.com has a pretty decent package with Eibach springs and Tokico shocks that runs around 400 shipped. If you do that you may as well get a couple of new strut mounts (the top pad of the assembly) for 60 more. If you can somehow rustle up the top washer that goes between the strut mount and top nut, you can drive your T-bird to the shop that can assemble this.

Whatever you do, you should be able to do all except compress the coil springs, but for 40-50 bucks it's well worth farming that out.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Turns out I have a broken spring and they want to change the front two spring, struts, and they also reminded me that I need to change my brake pads and rotors.
Broken spring : See if someone will sell you one cheap on the parts wanted forum.

OR, Stock V8 springs should be easily available at any junkyard.

I bought a set of sport springs from a member here; well worth it. :)

Replacement front shocks : ~$42 ea Motorcraft

Replacement rear shocks : ~$28 ea Motorcraft

Pads front and rear: ~$50

Rotors : $40 ea for the last set I bought. I wouldn't replace the rear rotors unless they're grooved.

~$200, plus the cost of the spring,and a day's worth of work.

Look in the Misc. forum for the RockAuto discount code.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Broken spring : See if someone will sell you one cheap on the parts wanted forum.

OR, Stock V8 springs should be easily available at any junkyard.

I bought a set of sport springs from a member here; well worth it. :)

Replacement front shocks : ~$42 ea Motorcraft

Replacement rear shocks : ~$28 ea Motorcraft

Pads front and rear: ~$50

Rotors : $40 ea for the last set I bought. I wouldn't replace the rear rotors unless they're grooved.

~$200, plus the cost of the spring,and a day's worth of work.

Look in the Misc. forum for the RockAuto discount code.
Also, look into quick struts on rockauto, you don;t have to mess with spring compressors. Shock and spring is already assembled, you just install it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, yeah I was wondering about the strut/spring having to compress them. How about the rotors?

I was looking at KVRperformance.com are the cross drilled rotors really worth it? specially if in the next couple months when I have this all paid for ill do the PBR front caliper upgrade

·
Registered
124 Posts
in my opinion the cross drilled dont do much but make more noise when you try to stop. expecially if you plan on upgrading again in the next few months just my .02 cents

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
you can do new springs and shocks it'll take a day to do just the fronts and you'll need a spring compressor i got one from pepboys for 50 bucks its a real pita with 1 person but if you have someone help you it aint to bad. rotors are going to be pretty pricey thats just the nature of the beast. pads are cheap

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i will go with the MONROE Part # 171845R and Part # 171845L quick struts from rockauto, cheaper then the ones from autozone and seem like they are better. what do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,563 Posts
Great choice. That's what I used when I was in your situation, easy to install (once you get the bolt (the nut was easy) that mounts the assembly to the LCA out... that bolt was EVIL!). As was said, no need for spring compressors.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Now if Tokico did one for those of us with the Automatic Ride Control, we'd be In Like Flynn.

I've already made plans on who to take the assembly to, in order to get the springs swapped from the old to the new.

Now if I could just figure out how to do the rear LCA without compressing the spring ...

RwP

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd definitly recommend doing it yourself. Autozone rents a tool for free to change it. It's almost impossible to do it by yourself. I usually rent 2 without a helper. It might take longer but its safer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Great choice. That's what I used when I was in your situation, easy to install (once you get the bolt (the nut was easy) that mounts the assembly to the LCA out... that bolt was EVIL!). As was said, no need for spring compressors.

Yes sir that bolt was pure hell. When i did my lca's i ended up cutting it off both sides,:tongue: and then when i went to work the next day they actualy had 2 in stock. and i was shocked only 2 bucks a piece. saved me Tons !! of time trying to force them out. ( Torches were out of gas):mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yes sir that bolt was pure hell. When i did my lca's i ended up cutting it off both sides,:tongue: and then when i went to work the next day they actualy had 2 in stock. and i was shocked only 2 bucks a piece. saved me Tons !! of time trying to force them out. ( Torches were out of gas):mad::mad:
Torch wouldn't help either if your car was on salty roads. Cutting is probably the best choice, if not you should have air tools /air hammer to do this job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a decent set of springs off of a 93 V8 you can have for shipping. Probably ~$30 for all 4.

Damon

So I went in to get my tires aligned because my steering was shaking like crazy and pulling to the right.

They are asking me over 1000 bucks for it, not including 4 new tires and alignment.

The problem is that my work just cut my hours by half, and I haven't been able to get a new job so im tight in money.

I can change the rotors and brake pads myself. But I might also want to try the struts and springs, are they hard to do? anyone have any experiences doing this?

Also, I been shopping around, and so far the cheapest parts place is autozone... Napa used to be my go to place but their prices are much higher then autozone lately. Anyone know any cheaper place?

Thanks for any help in advance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts