TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I know there are differences between years of front subframes to accomodate the different engines in the mn12/fn10 lifespan (3.8's, 5.0 and 4.6). I remember reading about this a long time ago and I "thought" i saved the thread in my subscriptions but I've spent several hours browsing here and sccoa and could not find it.

So my question is, which year front subframes are interchangeable? I want to buy an extra front subframe to refurb and use in my sc's to complete front end swaps and I want to know which ones I'm able to use.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
There are only 2 different subframes, the 89-92, and the 93-98. There were no differences between the different motors in any given year, so as long as the year is correct, the subframe from any motor car will work with any other motor. Also, when you come down to it, the only difference in the subframes was the location of the perches for the motor mounts, and that was dealt with by having different lower brackets on the motor mounts, so as long as you have the lower engine mount brackets that match the subframe, you could put a 93+ subframe in an 89-92 car, or an 89-92 subframe in a 93+ car. The only thing you can't do is you can't put a 4.6L engine into an older subframe because the engine is physically wider, and it won't fit between the older perches, which is why the subframe was redesigned in the first place.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are only 2 different subframes, the 89-92, and the 93-98. There were no differences between the different motors in any given year, so as long as the year is correct, the subframe from any motor car will work with any other motor. Also, when you come down to it, the only difference in the subframes was the location of the perches for the motor mounts, and that was dealt with by having different lower brackets on the motor mounts, so as long as you have the lower engine mount brackets that match the subframe, you could put a 93+ subframe in an 89-92 car, or an 89-92 subframe in a 93+ car. The only thing you can't do is you can't put a 4.6L engine into an older subframe because the engine is physically wider, and it won't fit between the older perches, which is why the subframe was redesigned in the first place.
Right on the money what I needed my friend.

Thanks a million!

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
No problem.

Also, I haven't started stripping the car yet, but I'm going to be parting out a 94SC once the weather warms up. I don't know how soon you were looking to do the swap, or how much it would be to ship the subframe, but if you want it, let me know and I'll let you know once I get it out of the car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with a local sc owner and he's going to give me a good deal on a couple k members. HOwever, there is a guy in NJ, probably closer to you, who may be interested in that subframe. I'll send him this link and maybe he'll get in touch with you.

Do keep me posted when you part out that 94 sc though...I may be in need of a few more pieces. What color interior/exterior?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts