TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it is better to post a suspension question in the suspension forum.

Are there experts in TBIRD front suspension out there?

My 1992 TBIRD Sport is driving me nuts on the right front suspension.
When I get it up to 65MPH, the front right suspension starts to shimy and vibrate.
The left front is fine.

I have turned rotors multiple times.
I have swapped rotors between left and right.
I have put on new rotors.
I have swapped wheels between left and right.
Same result: Left: No Shaking, Right: Shaking.

There does not appear to be looseness in the right front suspension.

The only thing I noticed is that the rotor, whatever rotor I put on, always 'binds' in one spot as I rotate the wheel.

Is is possible that the hub is somehow misaligned with the rest of the steering knuckle causing the rotor to always bind at some point with the disk brake caliper?

Or could the steering knuckle be warped so that it misaligns the hub, which misaligns the rotor?

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
It is possible for the hub to be bent, even without direct damaging impact to the wheel.
The easy way to tell would be to mark the high side of the rotor, rotate the rotor 90 degrees
and mark the area that's high. If the high spot travels, you know the answer to the question.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
check the wheel bearings...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheel bearings are in the hub. So to service the wheel bearings would mean to remove the hub.

I have not removed a hub yet. I understand they are torqued on by 250 ft-lbs.

From other problem descriptions, its seems that the Upper Control Arm tends to wearout. The protective boots on both my UCAs are cracked, so I will replace both and see what that does.

I have noticed that the OEMs tend to skimp on ball joints. No grease fittings and the rubber boots crumble away after a few years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is possible for the hub to be bent, even without direct damaging impact to the wheel.
The easy way to tell would be to mark the high side of the rotor, rotate the rotor 90 degrees and mark the area that's high. If the high spot travels, you know the answer to the question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears to be more of a lateral rather than radial misalignment, but it should be a combination of both if the hub is misaligned so I will try this and see what it reveals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts