TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any company make a 1-1/8" front sway bar for the MN12? I know ADDCO has 1-1/4" and 1-3/8", but I'm looking for something slightly stiffer than the factory 1.06" front bar. I recently replaced my PST 1-1/8" rear bar with an ADDCO 1-1/4" rear bar, and it is not well balanced with my factory front bar.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Does any company make a 1-1/8" front sway bar for the MN12? I know ADDCO has 1-1/4" and 1-3/8", but I'm looking for something slightly stiffer than the factory 1.06" front bar. I recently replaced my PST 1-1/8" rear bar with an ADDCO 1-1/4" rear bar, and it is not well balanced with my factory front bar.
1989-91 SuperCoupes had 1.2" sway bars. 1992 were 1.12" (as close to 1 1/8 you'll get), and 93+ went down to 1.10" front.

With a 1.25" rear bar, you may want to go to the 1.2 to balance it more.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read the instructions for replacing the front sway bar, and holy crap they are complicated and time consuming! Is it true that the front sub-frame has to be dropped on the '96-'97 cars? Are there any tips or tricks to make this job easier?

·
Super Moderator
7,654 Posts
Yes, the subframe has to be dropped on all year MN12s. It really isn't that bad though. You don't have to pull the subframe out completely, you just need to lower it enough to get the sway bar out, so you can leave the ball joints connected to the spindles, and just unbolt the lower shock bolt from the LCA, support the engine, disconnect the steering shaft, motor mounts, and power steering lines, and lower the subframe down a few inches, and that should give you the clearance you need to get the bar out.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How much of that work has to be done to just install poly bushings? And how much increase in stiffness do they provide?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered poly bushings and new end links from SCP yesterday. Will hold off on actually upgrading the front bar until I pull the engine in a year or two.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got the poly bushings installed on the factory front sway bar on Saturday, and took the car out for a test drive. Front end stiffness was increased, and the front-to-rear balance was improved. The cornering limit is still not as high as I would like, but overall this is a reasonable setup for a non-track car. I think it would be better with a wider front tire, but I like the way the car looks with the 245s on 8" wide wheels tucked in better than the previous 255s on 9" wheels. The car just isn't going to handle like a Porsche!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The car just isn't going to handle like a Porsche!
Nope, our cars don't try to make the rear end go around the corner first like Porsche's do. :)

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True, especially concerning the older 911s. But I was actually thinking of the newer models, especially the Boxster and Cayman. I have a good friend who owns a Cayman GT4, and it corners quite neutrally!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
True, especially concerning the older 911s. But I was actually thinking of the newer models, especially the Boxster and Cayman. I have a good friend who owns a Cayman GT4, and it corners quite neutrally!
I know, I was just making a cheap joke.

911's are not for the faint of heart, but yes the Cayman/Boxter is a great platform, and it is only held back by it's engine. They are VERY close to 911 times around most major tracks bone stock.

I like mid engine over rear engine personally. My father had a 1968 Lotus Europa that was great at cornering, we had lots of fun with an 86 Fiero back in the day.

Regarding sway bars, I'm very happy with the 1989 SuperCoupe sway bars front and rear on my 1997 Thunderbird. Paired with Eibach lowering springs, GR-2 shocks, and front and rear shock tower connections the car corners nice and flat, and very well by my standards. I have plenty of confidence in it, but I just drive in a "fun on the street" mode, not on a track.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will probably switch to a larger front bar (something in the 1.12-1.20" diameter range) the next time I have the engine out of the car. Too much work to do it near term.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took my car into a local shop to get new end links installed on the front sway bar, and asked them to check the rest of the front suspension for wear or damage. They found that the LCAs were worn out, and that the metal sleeves inside the bushings at both ends of the radius rods had rusted away. There was no obvious noises, but I could feel something wasn't right through the steering. With new LCAs and radius rod bushings and sleeves, the car now has the planted feel at the front which was missing. It only took 5 months to sort this out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts