TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Moog front UCA's sitting here, but dreading diving into the job! Brake line on the left, A/C lines & fuel lines on the right, plus evaporator an inch from the bolt. I do have a 6 pt 18mm wrench, and a long ratchet with swivel head.

Any tips on how to R&R these without trashing everything? In the wheelwell, will the bolts pull out past the springs okay?

The new bolts don't have tabs, so I guess I will reuse the old ones.

Thanks!
Al

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have Moog front UCA's sitting here, but dreading diving into the job! Brake line on the left, A/C lines & fuel lines on the right, plus evaporator an inch from the bolt. I do have a 6 pt 18mm wrench, and a long ratchet with swivel head.

Any tips on how to R&R these without trashing everything? In the wheelwell, will the bolts pull out past the springs okay?

The new bolts don't have tabs, so I guess I will reuse the old ones.

Thanks!
Al
Hey Al, the AC lines are pain but you can move them so they stay further up towards the valve cover and away from the nut on that side. The passenger side it a pain in the neck. The only real way to get it off is patience and an 18 wrench. You can only move probably one notch before you have to readjust, it takes forever... :tongue:

The bolts come out without interfering with the springs, but its really much easier to remove the coilovers before you remove the control arms. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Al I tried to call u back on Saturday get and 18mm ratchet wrench peice of cake just take a little time also the bolts clear the spings

Robert

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, my outlook on the job was better on Saturday than it was Friday night! It ended up not being too bad, just took a little creativity.

I ordered 4 UCA's from Amazon. 3 of them were in Moog boxes, but the one that was in a Federal Mogul box was really beefy but didn't appear to have grease in it. There wasn't any fitment issue other than the larger ball joint boot is so big it is squished against the spindle. :-(

Got one more set to install on the Cougar, saving that for next weekend!

Al

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I thought it was going to be a pain ... it wasn't, just takes time!

The tabs are just bressed on the bolts it seems, couple of mine fell loose. I put them back on and tapped with a hammer to hold .... they work well and those bolts are beefy enough to be re-used longer than the car will last.

Save final torquing until you have it setting on the ground at rest height.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bringing this back because 4-5 months after installing the Moog UCA's on both MN-12's, they both started making similar creaking noises, WTF! They creak bad when turning the wheel while going slow, and Brenda's Cougar even creaks pretty loud going slowly down the road!

Unless they are out of grease (they appeared to be pre-greased except for 1 out of 4) I guess I am out the cost of parts and will have to repeat the PITA job on both cars!

I did the final tightening with the car on the ground.

Are Moog's crap? Anything I can check besides adding more grease?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
4-5 months .... don't hardly seem likely? Might go to NAPA and get a jug of "Ruglide" (spl?) ... last I got was in a spray bottle .... and douse those upper inner bushings and other rubber.

I had a loud creaking on my 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis once. It creaked when turning at low speed and as we drove slowly in the driveway (it's paved, but it's not a smooth job, it has waves and dips) and since it was still in warranty, I took it to Ford as I figured it was an UCA bushing.

Long time experienced Ford mechanic road tested it with me in the car and he too thought it was a suspension bushing ... ahhh .... but which one?

Long story made short .... grease on the hood latch cured it.

Just sayin' ...... :D

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Make sure the 18mm nut is very tight I've had customers not tighten them enough and the creek I highly doubt it's the joint itself

Robert

·
8,239 Posts
I recommend that you get a ratcheting box wrench and tighten the bolt from the top.

Its not that bad, when you have done it ten times at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts