TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my new tires. At about 74-80 the front end vibrates like it's going to fall apart. Steering wheel vibrates, dash bounces, it's bad. It seems to have to work up to the vibration, almost like something is resonating. I had a slight vibrate before (and I mean slight) but I attributed that to worn out or out of balance tires. I'm going to look at the tires, ball joints, etc up front, maybe rotate the tires to see if the vibration moves, check my U-joints.
Any other advice on what to look for?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Might have a bad tire. I would take it back for re-balancing, and re-torque the wheels afterwards to be sure they are torqued properly. Sometimes you have to double check wheel torque, etc.

What tires did you get, and which shop did they come from?

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
If it is shaking the steering wheel, it is coming from one of the front wheels. Either the tires are not balanced properly, or one is defective, or you have a severely bent rim that nobody mentioned or noticed, or the wheels are not tight or not seated properly. I don't know about down there, but up by me it is unbelievable how people working at tire shops do not know how to balance a tire! I have gotten multiple new customers because they couldn't figure out a vibration after getting new tires and Firestone or Mr. Tire or whoever told them they need thousands of dollars in suspension work, and all they needed was the tires balanced properly!

A quick way to tell if the person doing the work had no clue what they were doing; look at the weights on any given wheel. If you have 2 weights in different locations on the same side of the wheel, then the wheels were balanced wrong.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the Cooper Cobras. They were installed by ten-ten Auto, I BS with the owner every time I stop in there. I really trust their work. I don't deal with big shops.
I recently had an ordeal with another local shop that went kind of like you mentioned MadMikey.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it. There are some weights on the inside of the rim close to the face, just behind the spokes. On one of the wheels the weight is a little thick and was rubbing the caliper, obviously it wasn't an issue until you got to the high rotation speed of 75 mph. Thanks for the input. I did also find that there is a little slop on 1 of my inner tie rods, so another project.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shop fixed the weight issue. I still have a vibration at about 80, it seems to be getting worse. I've done some reading and it seems I may have an issue with the driveshaft. I got a line on a MK8 driveshaft nearby, but also read some about the output shaft bushing. What is that actually called, can't find it on RockAuto? Can ya'll give me some advice? My 97 never shook. I drive the highway to work every day. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I believe that bushing you're referring to would be called the "extension housing bushing".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a vibration in my '90 Anny over 75...wasn't wheel balance, u-joints, diff bushings, motor/trans mounts or axles, and decided it might be the output shaft bushing in the AOD's tailshaft - seemed like the up/down movement was a bit excessive.

Talked to a shop that knows SCs and took it in to have the bushing done. They checked it and said that amount of play was normal. They eventually found a bit of play/roughness in the right front wheel bearing. I ended up replacing both (100k miles) and all was well for a couple years, when another vibration from the rear developed...fresh tires with more meat cured that problem. Smooth as silk at 80 these days.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4 bad tires....

I chased it for a while, then handed it back to the shop. They found 4 bad tires, got them replaced and balanced. Smooth as silk. We think they were stored improperly in the warehouse.

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
I was going to suggest that next. Glad they figured it out (and admitted to it).

I had a bad tire once years ago, and the shop guys knew it; it was a Uniroyal Tiger Paw and it wouldn't balance. They were putting weights on both sides of the rim trying to get it to balance (Balance and counter balance). The techs called the shop owner over and he looked at it - there were a lot of knowing glances exchanged - they finally got it "close" and said ok it's good to go and put it on the car. I was younger then and in hind sight should have never accepted the tire. I certainly know better now.

·
Super Moderator
10,655 Posts
4 bad tires....

I chased it for a while, then handed it back to the shop. They found 4 bad tires, got them replaced and balanced. Smooth as silk. We think they were stored improperly in the warehouse.
I've bought tires at Sams that couldn't be balanced, and were as you described. :frown2:

I found out there are different grades; Tire Rack and Summit are grade A, from my experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts