TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought my bird last year i noticed some odd scrapes or scratches vertically down both front windows. i thought maybe they were just light scuff marks or smears of somekind. but after a year of owning the car they've gotten worse. they're actually deep cuts in the glass as if they were rubbing against something in the door as they're being rolled down. changing the windows and components is no problem. but i'm wondering if this is a common bird problem. has anyone else had this issue? i've never seen this on any other car no matter how old it is. i just don't wanna spend the money on new glass if it's gonna happen all over again

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Is it contained to one strip on each window, about 2" wide, near the middle of the window?

-Rod

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes that's exactly what it is. is there something on these cars that causes that to happen with age? i looked inside the door panel and i can't find anything that looks like it would rum against the window. i'm stuck.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
With the door panel off, you'll see that there is a small guide at the top of the door near the middle. It's attached to the door with one 11mm nut. The felt is likely worn off of that guide.

-Rod

·
Registered
384 Posts
it has clamed my window tent....

·
Registered
384 Posts
theres just a streek thats coming up and everytime i roll the window up and down it gets worse

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea winky, jMags is right. tint never goes on the outside. all my scratches are on the outside of my window. if your tint really is being destroyed you might wanna check out the inside of the door panel. i'm sure it probably looks like your tint is being affected but you're probably just seeing the scratches thru it.

and on another note, both my windows are also "rocking" as the roll up, and sometimes down. it's worse with the driver side compared to the passenger. and another thing with the driver side is that is sticks when it's wet or even when the air is damp (like early in the morning or just before or after it rains). both windows will go up to a certain point then rock forward to back as they continue to roll up. another typical mn12 ailment? the window armature inside the door is different from most cars on these (as with everything else on these damn cars lol) so i can't really tell what's not working properly

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
If you guys are referring to scratches on the exterior side of the window, then the guide that I was referring to isn't your problem. That guide is on the interior side of the window, and it will ruin window tint quickly.

-Rod

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well crap. what in the world is it then? i couldn't see a guide on the outside of the window let alone one on the inside.

·
Registered
186 Posts
mine seem to be on the outside. The window kind of vibrates when going up. Hmm I guess I will have to take a look. Will autozone have guides? Or should I try glueing new felt to the guide. Never done this before.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i figured out where the scratches on the outside are coming from. the window has two sill plates, one on the inside and one on the outside. these are the rubber/plastic/felt pieces that keep water out of your door. well i pulled the outside one off and there's a little indentation on the bottom of it to help to guide the window up and down. of course it's metal under all the felt and the felt has worn away. btw make sure if you take your sill plates off you remove the side view mirror. i made that mistake and ruined one of my plates. anyways you can glue more felt to it i don't see why that would harm anything. and i fixed the vibrating of the window as it rolls up by tightening the bolts that hold on the window and i sprayed liberal amounts of white lithium grease on all the slides and bearings. window works wonderfully now except for the scratches still being there

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Just use polishing compound to take the scratches out of the outside of the window. Dirt gets between the glass and the rubber trim and grinds on the window. It is easily buffed out with some polishing compound. I did this on my 90 'Stang and now need to do it on my 94 Cougar.

Here's some tips:

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=6,4,1,3

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,14

BTW: Be sure to roll the window down once in a while and wipe behind the rubber to clean any grit and grim collected on the rubber trim.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how deep were your scratches? mine are deep enough to catch my fingernail when i run it across the glass

·
Registered
186 Posts
looks like I have a project this weekend. why do you have to remove the side mirror?

I would also like to know how deep your scratches were. Mine aren't too bad but can be barely be caught with the finger nail. I also have a few scratches on my windshield thanks to dirt being on the wipers. I didn't know you could use polishing compound on glass, but I think those are too deep.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the outside sill plate is held down by the mirror on one side and by a slide track on the other side. the mirror has to be removed (3 bolts behind black cover inside door) and the molding must be slid forward. the whole thing is made out of really soft thin metal so be CAREFUL. mine bent so easy it wasn't even funny

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I didn't know you could use polishing compound on glass, but I think those are too deep.
Just try to lightly rub the compound in and wipe it off. If it is still there, do it again - if nothing, wipe a little harder. Play with it. If you just go in there all gorilla on it, you will have a nice dull spot. Take your time rubbing and wiping. I was amazed that it took away the scratches. Remember, this is polishing compound, not rubbing compound - two different products.

If you finger nail catches on the scratches, I'd say you have some damage to the window. That sucks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Okay looked at the window this weekend. Here is the best shot I could get of the actual scratch so you guys can see what I am talking about.

So I tear everything apart and I think I found the problem. Not 100% sure though. I am not sure what you would call the black piece in the picture. Whatever it is I pulled it out just like byrd of thunder said. Needed to remove the side mirror. Anyways, I found an indentation exactly where the scratches are:

As you can see the felt at the spot kind of wore down to the rubber. The best I can figure is a piece of dirt got down there and it started scratching. I am not really sure why the metal is raised in that spot, but I'm pretty sure it was designed that way. I used a pair of pliers to kind of flatten the indendation. I am hoping it stops the scratches.

Now that I look back on it, I never saw the window motor. Where is that? I didn't bother looking for it but I had pretty much everything taken apart.

Also I didn't fix the problem of the window jumping/vibrating on its way up. I tightened every bolt I saw. Any suggestions? Should I have greased something? I was more concerned with the scratches.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i found the same flat spot on mine. that's obviously where the scratches were coming from. and i replaced all my window molding with molding from pick and pull. it was all in good shape. and i tightened all the nuts i could find also. mine still rock a little bit but not nearly as bad. also, the window motor is hidden behind the door bracing. it's really hard to get to. take a can of white lithium grease and spray every moving part you can find

1 - 20 of 21 Posts