TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May have a line on a FRPP 3.73 TL unit with the aluminum case like in the GP a while back. I did a search and found some bad reviews.

If you got one of these, please post if it went bad or not and mileage you have on it, or mileage when it went bad.

TIA,
Rob

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I have about 75,000 miles on one of my FRPP 3.73 TL aluminum centersections with no issues whatsoever. I also put about 900 miles on my other FRPP 3.73 TL aluminum centersection before swapping it out for a 4.10 unit. I didn't have any problems with that one either.

-Rod

EDIT: I should also mention that I checked the pattern on both centersections before installing them and both looked good.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding.
That's 2 for good.
Any more reviews?

TIA,
Rob

·
Registered
825 Posts
mine broke after about 10k or so clutches just stoped working i need to get it back in the car you get use to trak loc real fast now 1 tire fire blows:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I took one apart a few weeks ago the pattern was way off on and the ring was razor edged. I have seen a couple others with clutch problems. Alot of the clutch problems can be caused from using the wrong fluid and/or not enough modifier. use the 75w-140 synthetic ford lubricant and 2 bottles of modifier.
Alan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dirtyd0g said:
I took one apart a few weeks ago the pattern was way off on and the ring was razor edged. I have seen a couple others with clutch problems. Alot of the clutch problems can be caused from using the wrong fluid and/or not enough modifier. use the 75w-140 synthetic ford lubricant and 2 bottles of modifier.
Alan
It's used and in a non-running car. Is there any way to check it?
TIA,
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Well before I would install it used I would go ahead and remove the cover to service it. Then you can inspect the ring and pinion for unusual wear and make sure it has the proper fluid when you put it together.
Alan

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I dunno how many miles I have on mine off hand, probably 40-50K. My trac-lok is still functioning last I checked, but the damn thing makes a lot of noise and needs a rebuild as far as I'm concerned. It sounds kinda like gear whine above 40mph and at parking lot speeds (might be a rear bearing, not 100% sure yet) it has a light clunking sound. I noticed the gear whine after a few thousand miles and the low speed clunk just a few months ago. Also, I ran it with whatever fluids Ford put in there from the factory.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dirtyd0g said:
Well before I would install it used I would go ahead and remove the cover to service it. Then you can inspect the ring and pinion for unusual wear and make sure it has the proper fluid when you put it together.
Alan
I've never been inside one before. Can you describe what unusual wear would look like.

Thanks. You guys are great.
Rob

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I wish I had a picture, as it would be easier to show you than describe it.

Basically, you want to see the wear pattern in the middle of each tooth, both side to side and in and out. If the pattern isn't centered on each tooth, the rear end will most likely whine or even break teeth.

-Rod

·
Registered
825 Posts
mine use to "growl" on sharpe turns and how do you get the unit out of the case

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Growling in sharp turns on a new unit may be normal or a sign that more modifier needs to be added. Mine did that after I built it for about 2 days at low speeds. I never noticed it at any normal driving speeds, but when pulling into the gravel driveway I heard it.
Alan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
racecougar, I think I got what you mean.
Thanks Gents,
Rob

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
girdnerg said:
racecougar, I think I got what you mean.
Thanks Gents,
Rob
:thumbsup:

-Rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts