TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got my 3.73 FRPP gears off ebay today. First of all the Pinion gear has 2 teeth chipped in the back of the gear. Yeah I'm not so happy about that. And we didn't notice till we already installed the ring gear.

But anyway here is the quesion. I've never seen a ford ring gear that was not completely flat on the back side. I meen it mounts flush to the carrier but the outter edge is slopped up. I wish i could post pics of what i'm talking about. Does any body think these are Knock offs. They came in a Ford box and all

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Right that the pinion gear is chipped. The ring gear is not warped that i can tell. Like I said the ring gear sits flush. its hard to explain without pics. Hopefully somebody will understand. Every other ford gear i have seen from the the back side of the gear if like stitting on a table is angles up at a constant from the back of the gear.its at a constant. this set of gears here has twt differten angles as it's going to the top of the gear

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The ford gears more than likely have ford logos on them and motorsport part numbers. I know for sure mine read "3.73" some other wierd numbers and I think there was a ford logo, but I had 3 sets of gears in front of me at the time, I can't really remember for sure. As for this sloping...man you have at least me confused! :)
-Rob

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The Ford ones will have the appropriate markings on them... but pics would help us greatly here.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
theres a reason i wont buy used gears, and you hit it on head! i dont like guessing about unknown damage and even that small chip will cause a fracture eventually.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
From the 2004 FRPP catalog, regarding the 3.73 gears:

Part # M-4209-F373N "Replaces our popular M-4209-F373. New manufacturing technology utilizing a Face Hob Process which features a single pass pinion tooth machining operation compared to a conventional three pass process for machining. CNC cut and lapped gear teeth. Higher strength and better quality gears are produced with the Face Hob Process. Note: these new gears look a little different, the gear teeth are cut on a different angle and the ring gear has a bevel on the back of the gear."

Check the part number of the gears you received. You may have a set of the new ones....

Edit corrected typographical error.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IronChopz said:
From the 2004 FRPP catalog, regarding the 3.73 gears:

Part # M-4209-F373N "Replaces our popular M-4209-F373. New manufacturing technology utilizing a Face Hob Process which features a single pass pinion tooth machining operation compared to a conventional three pass process for machining. CNC cut and lapped gear teeth. Higher strength and better quality gears are produced with the Face Hob Process. Note: these new gears look a little different., the gear teeth are cut on a different angle and the ring gear has a bevel on the back of the gear."

Check the part number of the gears you received. You may have a set of the new ones....
Dude you were right thanks. I knew they looked different. I figured somebody eventually would figure out what i meant.

jk89cat theres a reason i wont buy used gears, and you hit it on head! i dont like guessing about unknown damage and even that small chip will cause a fracture eventually
I wouln't buy used gears either. It's not a good idea

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
It's definitely not a good idea, but I did it anyway ;). My FRPP 3.73s cost me $50
-Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts