TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a lengthy search, but came up empty-handed...

I'm in the process of getting my 02 Explorer engine ready to drop in soon. I just installed the FRPP oil pump on the engine which is on an engine stand (old motor still in car).

My question is: Will the pick up tube for the high volume pump clear my Tbird's stock oil pan? Or do I need to get a Mark VIII pan/tube?? It doesn't clear the Explorer pan, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for advice from someone who has done this.

Frank

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
fsh167 said:
I just finished a lengthy search, but came up empty-handed...

I'm in the process of getting my 02 Explorer engine ready to drop in soon. I just installed the FRPP oil pump on the engine which is on an engine stand (old motor still in car).

My question is: Will the pick up tube for the high volume pump clear my Tbird's stock oil pan? Or do I need to get a Mark VIII pan/tube?? It doesn't clear the Explorer pan, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for advice from someone who has done this.

Frank
The pickup tube that is used on the Mustang will not clear your pan-you'll have to use the '97-'98 Mark 8 tube for that pump,and it will clear your TBird pan.
Beware of the powdered metal pump gears....they commonly fail,and when they do-there's a chance you'll destroy the engine.

Worth the $275 for insurance against breaking the Explorer engine.
JL

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the info/advice Johnny!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts