TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well.. a friend of mine and I swapped in my FRPP Centersection yesterday. It was a time consuming by relatively simple job. The tech article was a real help and covered pretty much everything you needed to know. Couple of things were left up to being answered on the board here, mainly how to get the halfshafts out of the pumpkin. (Thanks Timb.) Couple of notes from my install, probably just common sense to alot of people.. but this was my first time messing with a differential.

1. You really only need to take the exhaust loose from the flange after the third cat. The VSS was a little difficult to get to this way, but it wasn't too bad. (And I have fat hands and big forearms. :D)

2. I really should have filled the differential before I bolted it back up. If I had to do it again, this is what I'd do. Install the halfshafts while the pumpkin was still on the jack, fill it with fluid, /then/ bolt it back to the rear subframe.

3. Also.. if you're replacing the driveshaft while doing this swap. Break all of the driveshaft bolts loose before attempting to remove any one of them. After their broken, loosen one a few turns, then another, then another, etc. After that, we just took them the rest of the way out one at a time.

3b. When removing the driveshaft, you don't have to lower the gas tank all the way. Just take the bolts at the rear of the metal shield that surrounds the tank loose about 1 inch or so and the shaft will clear the rear subframe easy, especially with the giant *** iron pumpkin out of the way.

4. Having an extra set of hands is the /only/ way that I'd attempt to do this swap in a garage. It took us about 8 hours, but like all my mods.. that was taking my time.. beer breaks, etc.

One last thing.. be prepared to take the mother of all showers afterwards.

As for impressions, I haven't really had a chance to romp on the gears since I'm still in the process of breaking things in. But from what I've noticed, they seem to be an /excellent/ match for the Mark VIII converter. When the transmission went in with my 3.27's the car seems a little sluggish at partial throttle, probably because of the looser converter. With the 3.73s, I'm not sure why, but the car seems to have that little bit of pep back. RPMs only went up around 300 at 65mph. All in all, I'd call it a very worth while endeavor.

Hope this'll help any future swappers. Feel free to chime in with other things to make the swap easier. :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nice, those 3.73 with trac-loc is very nice. Just be careful driving (turning) in the rain.

<brag>
I put it in all by myself, and I am skinny and weak :)
</brag>

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
im in the process of putting mine in right now, i just have to put the wheels back on and bleed the brakes. err the other way around... bad news is i quit one night after i got the pumpkin lowered.. well somehow it turned itself over and i woke up to a very smelly garage with a lot of kitty litter needed.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
yeah i removed the calipers just for ease. I figure putting the brakes back on is a no biggie and it proved to be a pita. ahah and i was very shocked to see how small our rear brakes are, they are tiny!

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seriously. All you really needed to do for clearance around the rear brakes was to disconnected the Ebrake cable. I just set the caliper on the LCA and it was just fine and dandy there. :D THough.. the caliper did take a bit of coaxing to get back on, as I didn't bother compressing it. ^_^

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yeah, i put mine in this past weekend. Driveshaft bolts were rather tight, sucked. I'm still waiting on my MMX shaft though. Then i'll drop the pumpkin again.

Yeah, that iron beast...wow... weighs a ton.

My gears are broken in, with my mods, it was a very nice improvement. I might go steeper in the future, will have to see how my highway milage is over the next few months.

Also waiting on my marauder tc as well. That and the new driveshaft will go in as soon as i get them.

Limited slip rules.

I have every bolt-on basically now, and the car is very fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
yeah i was surprised to hell how tight the driveshaft bolts were on.. i had to use about a foot of leverage w/ my wrench to break them loose, and that was even hard. I felt like i had no control of that pumpkin falling from the back of the car, it was just too dense. Saturday I get to put in my new tranny so i hope i can actuallydrive my car for the first time in 4 months!

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chrisnack said:
I have every bolt-on basically now, and the car is very fun to drive.
Seriously. It's a totally different beast now. I'm hoping to get a chip and be able to install my GT MAF sometime in the coming months. Heh.. It really is a slippery slope once you start modding. ;)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I didn't do anything to my exhaust, the pumpkin fit down between my true duals, was kind of nice.

I have a 02 GT maf sitting in a box, it's going in April 4th when i have my SCT tune.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah.. with Lonnie gone I'm not sure if SCT will ever come back to San Diego. And if they do, I'll probably not hear about it until after the fact. LOL. Anyway... I dropped the exhaust mostly for extra clearance. It was like.. 15 minutes.. not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Aaron K. said:
Why do you have to cut up your exhaust to get it off the car?
Hangers are welded up ... shop welded nuts on the ends of the hangers... not a big deal.. nothing a torch won't fix..

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
chrisnack said:

Hangers are welded up ... shop welded nuts on the ends of the hangers... not a big deal.. nothing a torch won't fix..
That sucks...I thought you were gonna say that you had to cut it beacuse its one piece. I would have given ya crap because mines all one piece and I can get it off in ~15 minutes ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts