TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Formerly known as lfteyechicken
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my best friend has a 1991 TT 300zx. He lost third and reverse, so we decided to pull his tranny to get it rebuilt. Lets start with this. The previous owner was dumb, and put different bolts on the exhaust pipes connected to the downpipe, but in order for the tranny to drop, you have to remove the exhaust system, (time 1 1/2 hour for exhaust removal). The next thing to go was the drive shaft, simple one would think, but the way the driveshaft was bracketed to the rear diff. In order to unbolt it to remove it, we had to unbolt the mounting bracket of the tranny, and unbolt the rear diff., in order to unbolt the drive shaft. (time 2 hours.) Now comes the tranny, there are eight bolts on the tranny, several of which are simple to get to, but there are two bolts that are on the top that are a pain, so we decided to remove the downpipes to get to the LAST BOLT of the tranny. Down pipe removal was a pain because there is no wrench room for removal. (downpipe removal 2 hours). The last bolt of the transmission took us four hours to break loose. I spent a total of 18 hours over two days under his car, and I must say...it sucked

The moral of the story is, if you have or know someone who has a 300zx, and they need to pull a tranny, don't do it yourself, let someone else deal with it...cause we were using impact guns, breaker bars, so many sockets and wrenches, I didn't know craftsman made so many tools, nonetheless to be used on a 300zx. IT IS A PAIN. there is no room to work, it gets hot and muggy, and it is very frustrating.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
hmm still sounds vaguely familiar to a MN12, but I'll cut you some slack because you probably didn't have a lift. ;) You know you wanna be a mechanic! :D

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I dare my parents to buy something small:: I refuse to work on it, mainly for this type of reason. Out of my family, I've got the hardest car to work on.

No, really. (mom, 5.0 awd explorer, dad 3.0 ranger that-you-could-fit-a-460-in, don't have to lift either to do an oil change, it's great)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Welcome to the world of superior Japanese engineering. I started learning about it back when it took a friend and me 3 hours and a trip to the shop to get the oil drain plug out of a '76 Celica - and both of us knew a little bit about changing the oil too. ;)

Coming soon to an import dealer near you! Disposable cars! No one can repair them when they break, not even the manufacturer.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
BlackCat94 said:
hmm still sounds vaguely familiar to a MN12, but I'll cut you some slack because you probably didn't have a lift. ;) You know you wanna be a mechanic! :D
i guess it depends on the experience of the mechanic on the car. Dennis' mechanics did my trans and DS so easily they probably could have doen it with thier eyes closed.

joseph

·
Registered
259 Posts
I dont know about you but i have more room to work in a 95 corolla then the 90 cougar we have. There is like no free room on the cougar in the engine bay and in the corolla i can see the road thru the engine bay. In the cougars all i see is wires and more wires.

·
Formerly known as lfteyechicken
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
like I said, it wasn't to bad, just no room to work, We worked it no problem, it was just time consuming trying to get to some of the bolts, and have enough to break them loose. And as far as room in the corolla goes, you wouldn't be able to see the road if it had a big enough engine like the cougar does.:D :cool: .............................................................................j/k

1 - 8 of 8 Posts