TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several of the guys told me that I should post what I am doing to the Fuel System on my Bird, and the Fuel Cell installation. Most of it is applicable to any serious street/strip birds, except how I am doing the carburetor.

Here is a picture of the incompleted job.

Full details are here:
Fuel Cell Instalation

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
In case any of you are wondering why the lines go out the rear, it's because the gas will slosh to the back under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I looked on the site he linked to. All it talks about is the installation of the fuel cell. I'm wondering what the fuel cell is used for. Unless it's something different from the standard definition of a fuel cell (a device to generate electricity).

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Unless it's something different from the standard definition of a fuel cell
Well actually, yes, it is different.

These are used in place of a conventional gas tank. The fuel cell normally has
a bladder to contain the gasoline in the event of tank rupture. Some
manufacturers add a type of foam in the bladder which also slows down leaking
and reduces sloshing of the gas. The external surfaces are sometimes coated as to slow down the release of fuel upon bending of the tank.

hope that helps

·
Registered
390 Posts
So it's something you would use in racing so that your fuel tank doesn't leak in the event of an accident then?

Man, and here I had images of someone doing a gas/electric hybrid with their car. (sorry, I can't help it, I'm a geek. :) )

·
The Parts Guy
7,342 Posts
The main adavantages of a fuel cell are:

Moving weight to the rear of the car

Baffling and sump designed to keep the fuel pump supplied constantly with fuel under hard acceleration

Easily allows use of larger feed and return lines

Makes more room under car for exhaust, etc.

-Rod

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
A cell also makes it so much simplier to drop the driveshaft and tranny is needed.That is my next step.
Looks good 392,
Chris

·
Registered
353 Posts
392Bird, that's a pretty comprehensive site on what your doing with your car. it's good to see ppl sharing what they're doing to their cars and what problems they run into. keep up the great work

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dr. FrankenCougie:
I can hear it now, "Give me 5 gals of VP and 2 bags of crushed ice" :) Looks like that whole W&S bunch is top notch. Boost for mine will have to wait till next Winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts