TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly my fuel economy has gone to the toilet. I am driving the same way, except it seems like Im missing about 2 gallons of fuel. I used to get around 21 MPG or so and now Im in the range of like 18 MPG. Im wondering whats going on? I had put some cheesy cone filter, and thats when I notice the fuel change, and now I've resently gone back to the stock airbox. And its still the same, anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
it happens quite often in the winter... in the summer time I get about 26-29mpg, but come winter time, it drops to about 20-23 mpg...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would of thought that with cold air and such that I'd get better cause of the air fuel ratio is better

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to clean your MAF. If you were using an oiled filter (like K&N air filters), the MAF is probably pretty dirty. Oil from the filter tends to make its way onto the MAF elements and attracts dirt.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
tbird96 said:
I would of thought that with cold air and such that I'd get better cause of the air fuel ratio is better
Think of it this way... during the winter time, it takes longer for your engine to warm up... during this "cold start" stage, the computer is dumping in huge amounts of gas to keep it running and to get it warmed up... thus the high idle at start up. In addition to that, when it is colder outside, you are correct, it does run better, denser air and all... but 9 times out of 10, that means better response and that means your foot is in the gas more whether you realize it or not.

john

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
tbird96 said:
anyone think that plugs, and a fuel filter would effect it that much?
Certainly couldn't hurt.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
cleaning the MAF is free, I'd start there. But tune-up's are always a good regular maintenance repair.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd go with denser air making it run richer.
But maintance won't hurt.

·
8,978 Posts
do you really think a "cold air intake" gets colder air than the stock intake does? Where do you think the stock intake takes air from? It's still taking in the same air. It won't run richer, or even if it does it will be in the tenths or even hundreths.

But the oil on the filters can get on the MAF sensor and throw it off.

-Thomas

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when I said colder air I didnt mean as in a cold air intake I was referring to the outside temp being in the 30's, but when I go home Im gonna throw so carb cleaner in the MAF, one of my buddies said that this fuel filter might be a more tricky replacement than some others. I havent had my bird for that long to replace it, anyone got some tricks?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
The fuel filter is a very simple job on our cars. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find plenty of info on replacing it.

-Rod

·
Registered
343 Posts
it happens quite often in the winter... in the summer time I get about 26-29mpg
Sort of off topic but I knew it. I argued with my dad for about an hour one day last summer when I told him I got 25-26 mpg on a trip but I knew I was right.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The cold air does ALOT. In the summer when the temp is in the 15-25 C range I get about 22-23 city. When it gets to 10-30 below 0 it drops to about 20 MPG city.

Of course thats with a light foot. Which doesnt happen very often :tongue:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put in new fuel filter, air filter, and replaced the plugs with some motorcraft plugs, I think this should do it. When I pulled out the old plugs there were tarnished pretty good with combustion residue. Anyone know what the original brand of plugs in these things, looks like when someone did a tune up they just replace wires because this plugs were worse than anything I've done before. Also, this thing was a PAIN to do plugs, would of been easier to pull the motor. Passenger side plugs the most forward one had me scratching my head for a while, any suggestions for my next tune up, or just grin and bare it?

·
8,978 Posts
easier to pull the motor haha. Maybe on a supercoupe. You have it good my friend. Heck, I can change my plugs in 10-15 minutes. Swivels are your friend, as are extensions. And a spark plug socket. The original plugs are motorcrafts.
-Thomas

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea I need to buy a swivel, I have all the extensions I need in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2, but damn I was cursing the fact that my car was apart and didnt have a swivel, and its too damn cold to take out the bike, and get a swivel at sears. I had grease up to my elbows and scratches, tomorrow when i return some sockets Im going to get a swivel in 3/8, and 1/2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts