TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i got a question i'm gonna remove my filter but i was wondering do you need to have a special little tool to get the front filter clips off or can you just pop the filter out?? heres a pic of what i'm talking about the end with the braided line

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Yeah, you need the fuel filter disconnect tools. All auto parts stores have them.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i did buy this little tool that slips on the filter then slides up into the 2 clips but as you can see from the pic theres not much room to get anything in there. I did notice on my new filter that the tube is a little bit longer than that

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I had the exact same problem. The Purolator brand has enough space to get the tool in. I had to wedge (force) the tool into the one that was on the car already. If all else fails, cut the filter off.

·
8,239 Posts
well the two little safety clips pop off with your hand, they are just safety clips, try not to break them.

Then you need a ford a/c fuel disconnect tool to push the little spring mechanism inside the fitting so that you can release it.

Its a two minute job. Might want to wear some goggles to keep fuel from splashing you in the face.

The guy who used a screwdriver has a good chance that next time he does it with a screw driver, the clip on his line won't work at all, and his new filter won't snap onto the line, and he will be cutting and flaring a new line.

JH

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok how to you do those with your hand?? I tried that but nothing happend.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No i'm talking about the right end the right end doesnt come with those clips :) the left end does

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Mattscoug94 said:
No i'm talking about the right end the right end doesnt come with those clips :) the left end does
Oh, I see the plastic clip on the right side now. Dunno what to tell you about that....mine doesnt have anything like it on that side of the filter.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
justin how do you get those clips off with your hand with out breaking them?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well ilooked at it again and i dont think theres anyway of getting a tool or anything in there i have the little plastic tool but theres no way thats going on. I dont know why but the new one has a longer tube and the old one looks shorter. For now i'm not gonna mess with it because i have to work in a few hrs. I think i'm just gonna have to cut it at the end and stick the plastic thing in there to release it.

·
8,239 Posts
Mattscoug94 said:
justin how do you get those clips off with your hand with out breaking them?
The plastic safety clips just come off with your hand or a little screwdriver. They just unclip. If your new filter comes with new safety clips you can just cut them off with some cutters.

You still need the ford tool to get the actual filter off the line.

Justin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts