TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what the Tech Article says:

Well...replacing fuel filter is a pretty easy procedure but it has its ups and dows. It should take you about 2 minute with right tools.
Take a look under the passenger side next to the unibody rail.
You should see a cover held on by two bolts, this is to protect the filter.
Prior to changing, make sure you release the fuel pressure by disconnecting the pump wire and running the car till it stops( you will still have fuel come out when you disconnect the lines.
When you change the filter, watch the clip removal for the forward part of the filter. Everybody has trouble getting it out. You have to use a small screwdriver to get clips over the lip.

When installing make sure direction is correct and the new filter snaps into place. Good luck!!!
Where are the fuel pump wires, or is there another way I can do this?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Another way is to run the car with the trunk open and take your palm and give the brace where the inertia switch is located a smack.
It will trip the switch and the car will 'run out of fuel.'
Turn it over some to clear as much out of the lines as you can and then you only have to worry about whats left in the filter.
When you change the filter, press the button to reset the switch... ;)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just purge the pressure from the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Next, remove the filter with a pan below, there won't be that much fuel coming out anyway. Just don't remove it with your face under it and mouth wide open:) There is no need to overcomplicate things. Wear gloves if you can't stand smelling like gas for a few hours.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it healthy for the car to "run out" of gas? I've always been told no to do that.

Just purge the pressure from the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Next, remove the filter with a pan below, there won't be that much fuel coming out anyway. Just don't remove it with your face under it and mouth wide open:) There is no need to overcomplicate things. Wear gloves if you can't stand smelling like gas for a few hours.
Purging the pressure from the schrader valve on the fuel rail sounds a bunch more complicated smacking the inertia sensor.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Changing the fuel filter isn't hard - it's about a 15 min job, tops. Unless you can't fit under the car and have to jack it up, then it's closer to 20 :p And when I've done it, I haven't done either one (shrader valve or inertia switch) I've just had a pan to catch the fuel and called it good.

-Melon

·
Registered
623 Posts
I generally just remove them without any pressure relieving precautions as well. I didn't want to tell a person that had to ask 'how to' otherwise and have them spray fuel in his face/mouth/eyes:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I generally just remove them without any pressure relieving precautions as well. I didn't want to tell a person that had to ask 'how to' otherwise and have them spray fuel in his face/mouth/eyes:)
X3, except the first time I got sprayed...:eek:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you leave it sit over night there should not be any spraying. I just put a big coffee can under the filter when I remove the lines. You will probably get about a cup of gas draining from the lines and filter.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What size are the bolts to remove the cover? Mine are kind smashed looking, like the car bottomed out on a speed bump. 9mm is too big, and the 8mm wont fit. I have nothing in between. I tried pliers but it's just stripping them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Vise-grips or a twister socket would be my course of action and obviously get a new bolt.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I have neither of those at the moment, so since I got one of the bolts out I just bent the cover enough to get to it, disconnected the lines then slid it out. Boy that old one was rusty. I know it wasn't replaced since I owned it (almost two years, 15,000 miles) and I doubt the first owner changed it much. The car sounds a lot smoother and healthier. I kinda put 2 or 3 kinks in the fuel line, but got them worked out for the most part. Hopefully that doesn't come back to haunt me. In another year or two when it gets replaced again I'll try and get that stripped bolt out and replace it, but now I'm tired of it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts