TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before you say :gotsearch I already looked and found what I was looking for. BUT, the link is bad and was wondering if anyone had the diagram and instructions for a fuel filter replacement? Thanks.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
jimmy_04 said:
...was wondering if anyone had the diagram and instructions for a fuel filter replacement?...

Additional info, if you need it:

Removal

WARNING: BECAUSE OF THE COMBUSTION CHARACTERISTICS OF GASOLINE, ALWAYS USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING AND INSTALLING ANY FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENT.

1. Depressurize the fuel system as outlined under Fuel System Pressure Relief.
2. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to Section 00-02.
3. Remove the push connect fittings at both ends of the fuel filter and base as outlined. Install new retainer clips in each push connect fitting.
4. Remove fuel filter and base from bracket by loosening worm gear clamp. Note the direction of the flow arrow as installed in the bracket to ensure proper direction of fuel flow through replacement fuel filter and base .

Installation

1. Install the fuel filter and base into the bracket, ensuring the proper direction of flow.
2. Tighten worm gear clamp to 1.7-2.8 Nm (16-24 lb-in).
3. Install the push connect fittings onto the fuel filter and base ends as outlined.
4. Lower vehicle.
5. Start engine and check for leaks.

Item -- Description
1 -- Side Member
2 -- Rear Fuel Supply Return and Vapor Tube
3 -- Front Fuel Supply Return and Vapor Tube
4 -- Fuel Filter and Base
5 -- Bolt (2 Req'd)
6 -- Nut (2 Req'd)

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
its really simple, just make sure the new filter comes with the line clips, and if it doesnt, be careful removing the old ones so you can reuse them. It's just 2 bolts, the hose clamp, and the line clips and its out. Really simple. I open my gas cap to release any pressure.
-Thomas

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Mine has the nylon line clips on one end and the sucky connectors that require the special tool on the other end. How does removing the gas cap release fuel line pressure?
-Rob

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Rob said:
Mine has the nylon line clips on one end and the sucky connectors that require the special tool on the other end. How does removing the gas cap release fuel line pressure?
-Rob
hell if I know thats just what they make us do at Jiffy Lube when doing a fuel filter so it was kind of a subconscious act. I dont really think it does anything since you're just releasing tank pressure, not the pressure the pump has built, but whatever.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Sorry man. After taking another look at my post I see it came off kinda rude. I was just curious if there was any specific purpose for pulling the cap since I've never done it. Normally I don't even release the pressure at the rail either, just let that stuff spray and drip! :) Have you ever ran into any mn12s that have a hose clamp on the front of the filter rather than the "quick release" special tool connections? Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yup, my 3.8 has the clips on both ends and the 5.0 has the "not-so-quick release" connectors.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
lol yeah gotta love the quick-release connections. Maybe the quick connect is a v8 thing. I can't remember what my 92 LS w 3.8 had. Good info though. Thanks!
-Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts