TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, saw some posts about antislosh modules. I have a '91 base with no idiot light. Just installed a new pump. All works with no leaks, but now gauge reads FULL with only 2gal. Unplug tank to main wiring harness connector, and gauge still reads full. Would an older '91 base have such a module? I have very little time to correct this issue as I have shoulder surgery in a couple days. Might need to fix this later. Have to put car back together this afternoon and get it out of boss mans shop. Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I made sure when I put it back in that all was lined up right. The gauge is way higher than ever was before, even with fuel coming out the filler. Still reads full with main harness disconnected from the body harness.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK... Not sure what I did... sprayed the body and tank harness connectors with electrical cleaner, plugged it up and cranked her up.... gauge is working again.... I hate when that happens......

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Thanks. I made sure when I put it back in that all was lined up right. The gauge is way higher than ever was before, even with fuel coming out the filler. Still reads full with main harness disconnected from the body harness.
Well, it should ... the sending unit is between the gauge and ground; if it's not connected, you get the full 12V effective at the input, so it reads HIGH. Or more accurately, wherever it was when the power was turned off earlier.

Grounding the line will drop it right to EMPTY.

RwP

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ralph... I was wondering about that. I'm in the marine field, and gauges act exact opposite. Ground the sender and it pegs the gauge.... I know.... NOT a boat....... Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Heh. Quoting from the Ford Service Manual:

Fuel Pump Module

The fuel pump module:

is serviceable only as an assembly.
consists of a variable resistor controlled by the level of an attached float in the fuel tank.
when the fuel level is low, resistance in the fuel pump module is low and movement of the gauge indicator dial is minimal (from EMPTY position).
when the fuel level is high, the resistance in the fuel pump module is high and gauge indicator dial movement is greater (further from the EMPTY position).
controls low fuel indicator on the indicator lamp module. Refer to Section 13-08 for diagnosis and service procedures.
RwP

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was pushed for time, my EVTM was at home, so went with the next best reliable source.... TcCOA....... you guys... (That's a compliment)

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
That assembly slides up and down; odds are, you didn't get it in the right place.

:grin2:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is a '91 base model. It has the float arm. After cleaning out the body to tank connectors, all is well. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts