TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just got back from a lil boating trip, 10 miles from my house I smell gas. I get home, check under the hood, thinking my injector o-rings are shot... nope. No smell under there. I go to the passenger side of the car, right infront of the rear wheel, (passenger side of the gas tank, near where the fuel lines come out) and there is a round plastic plug looking thing.. there is gas coming out around the round thing... then it drips on the lines (No trace of gas on the lines above the round thing) What is this round thing? It look's like a plug, but it doesn't come out... I just all of a sudden smelled gas. I'll get pics in a few. Any suggestions? ALSO: I just hit 100k friday night... =(

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
That's your fuel vapor valve.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be eminating from above there. It leaks, (kinda fast too...) ONLY when the engine is running. Is there anything on the top of the tank that would leak only when the engine is running?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Possibly could be your return fuel line. Only other line there would be from your fuel pump.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna park the car for a while. I guess I will fix the problem when I do U joints... Shouldn't be expensive, u joijnts are cheap, and I'll fix whatever is leaking... it will be time consuming. I should go ahead and stick the 190 pump in there for the nitrous, anyway... =)

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Probably dry rot or a cracked nylon line. Fairly simple (hopefully) to fix.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Only if you have to open the supply line. You probably will need to at least lower the passenger side of the tank.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
You're welcome. If the car sits overnight I doubt there will be any pressure left in the fuel line. Everytime I went to relieve pressure the next day there was none. Don't know if that means anything. Better safe to check anyway then a face full of gas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bet it's the same leak I had. It's like the cracking intake manifolds-- a design flaw. The two plastic fuel lines rub on the body of the car and eventually wear a hole in the lines. When I repaired my one leaking line, I could see that the other wasn't far behind, so I put a piece of split rubber hose over it to protect it from further abrasion. I had to lower the exhaust(but not remove) and lower the pass. side of the tank to get at the lines. I would advise anyone with at least the later MN12's to check your own lines before you have the same problem and this happens::ztoohot:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts