TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel level gauge is always wrong. When I fill the tank up the needle is on F, then when I go down the street or when I park the car and then start it again the needle is all off. I know its full but when I start it the gauge says its only 3/4. Then I drive for a mile or so and the gauge goes back up to F. Is there a sensor or something that goes old and doesn't read as accurate anymore. Even as the fuel is used, the gauge always reads lower than what it really is. I don't want to do the old "give her 15 miles" "the needles just broken" and the wind up on the side of the road. lol.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
mine started doing this after I put in the higher flow fuel pump. I dont know what would cause it and I know what all the parts are that I touched, the level floating ball tells a sliding sensor what the fuel level is at, so maybe when the sensor is cold it doesnt read very well, but after the fuel pump warms it up it works fine?
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Its just the wire in the float unit, as they get old the wire wears and sometimes sends bad signals to the guage. Its nothing to worry about though. The Grand Marquis I had was did eaxactly the same thing. Ive never seen one give a fuller than it actually is signal, so you wont run out of gas when it shows a half tank or something, but you may be filling up more often lol.

·
Registered
310 Posts
mine does that, but exactly the opposite, when i fill my tank, on my 3 gauge cluster, the fuel needle shoots almost straight up, but when it shows 1/2 tank, the low fuel light on the VMM comes on and im alll like WTF because i dont know why its doing it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts