TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.

What would happen if we shaved much weight off our vehicles to our mileage?

Say if we got out cars down to say 2400-2500 pounds would our mileage increase a bunch?

And we don't drive like fools.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Question.

What would happen if we shaved much weight off our vehicles to our mileage?

Say if we got out cars down to say 2400-2500 pounds would our mileage increase a bunch?

And we don't drive like fools.
You would get excellent gas mileage, because the only way you will get that much weight off is to remove the entire drive-train and push the car.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would get excellent gas mileage, because the only way you will get that much weight off is to remove the entire drive-train and push the car.
Seriously now. I would like a straight answer.
Let's approach this a little differently. Say I put the drivetrain in another car of lighter qualities.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Just make a sand rail with the engine. You'd get great some great speed and good gas mileage.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
don't talk to me about fuel mileage. :(

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Used to have a guy near me with a blown Bel Air. Didn't get to look at it much, but wish I did. He drove around town some and had to fill up. I think it was 3-5MPG!

That's why I like my Ninja for the summer. Gas went up to $3.43 for 85 octane this week. I run 93 in the Ninja for the extra $.50 it cost me over 87. And I like that it only holds 4 gallons instead of my Astro that holds 27.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
IMO I think it would. These cars a fairly aerodynamic for how big they are. I would guess the best way to get mileage with reduced weight is to also get numerically lower gears in the rear like 2.73's or something. That would prob help at least highway mileage.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
get numerically lower gears in the rear like 2.73's or something. That would prob help at least highway mileage.
and how long is this strip of highway?.. with that itll take you forever to get to 65 :tongue: lol

but the milage on these cars isnt to bad as it is.. i get 25-27 on the highway (which is mostly what i drive). but when i drive the streets i get 17-19... so i mean for what it is and the weight it is.. thats still decent..IMO

for weight reduction.. you could shave about 1k lbs by stripping the entire interior and switching to carbon fiber or fiberglass body panels i should think.. i know just the doors on these things weigh about 110lbs (ungutted)..

·
Registered
591 Posts
if you want to save a LOT of weight take out your dash, i just did a heater core on a 93 v6 car and that had to have been one of the heaviest dash boards for a car i have ever picked up.

i dont know if 2500 would be possible for our cars, without cutting off body panels and all that, unless someone else knows of a way

·
Registered
78 Posts
I remember someone saying somewhere for every 100lbs you lose you gain 1mpg, given under exactly equal terms the vehicals are tested. So lose 1000lbs and you could gain 10mpg

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Talk about MPG .... math does not lie...but i still fine this hard to belive !

I fine this hard to belive myself. Just got back with the bird on a road trip. Checked mileage 153 miles on 5 gallons = 30.6 !! This was flat ground cruise . 273 miles on 10 gallons =27.3 this was hills coming up I-81 in VA. How in the world ??? I still cant belive that. It was a steady cruise trip 75 MPH 2300 or so RPMs

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955492

96 ThunderBird LX 4.6 OHC Silencer removed, K&N Filter, DynoMax CAT back
Traction Lok Axle 3.27
MODs in the works
PI Heads Ported and PI Intake & ported and Ceramic Coated exhaust manifolds

·
Registered
798 Posts
Talk about MPG .... math does not lie...but i still fine this hard to belive !

I fine this hard to belive myself. Just got back with the bird on a road trip. Checked mileage 153 miles on 5 gallons = 30.6 !! This was flat ground cruise . 273 miles on 10 gallons =27.3 this was hills coming up I-81 in VA. How in the world ??? I still cant belive that. It was a steady cruise trip 75 MPH 2300 or so RPMs

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955492

96 ThunderBird LX 4.6 OHC Silencer removed, K&N Filter, DynoMax CAT back
Traction Lok Axle 3.27
MODs in the works
PI Heads Ported and PI Intake & ported and Ceramic Coated exhaust manifolds

Want to know what I get if I set cruise at 75mph?

:(

16.8726mpg.
That's the average over three different occasions.

If I set cruise at 70mph, it jumps to 18.2xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'll tell ya somthing that makes me sick my buddy has a 02 Z06 tuned with 398 HP at the wheels and gets 31mpg on the high way :D Granted the car only wieght's like 3200 pounds with his little ass lol

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My Bronco got 10mpg, so just shut up! :p Try driving Missouri to Montana and towing a car!

·
Registered
591 Posts
my 93 lx 5.0 gets about 14 right now, but thats because one of my o2 sensors reads 0 all the time due to something in the wiring i guess, and the fact the my trannt shifts kinda weird, but before the wiring issue i would get 22 mpg just driving normal, and thats with 211k on the car and motor

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I see one maybe.

I too can get decent mileage. But I need much more.
We live in a day that we should have 100 mpg cars no problem.

But I will see where I am going with this.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Want to know what I get if I set cruise at 75mph?

:(

16.8726mpg.
That's the average over three different occasions.

If I set cruise at 70mph, it jumps to 18.2xxxxxxxx
my truck gets better highway mileage:eek:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have 3.08's, and a 4.6 with 175,000 on the clock. I run about 75-80 on the highway and went from here to fallon, nevada and back in January and was averaging 26 miles per gallon, that includes going up the damn mountains in 3rd gear and with the trunk packed full of me and my buddies crap. I dont think shaving weight is what you need to look at as much as why your motor isnt running more efficiently.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts