TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay....
Went a bought a regulator...
Should fit like... well.. Perfect anyway...

But how in **** do I get the old one out??
The screws goes in from the bottom
and let me tell you... I ain't got the smallest fingers in the world...
:D

Do I have to loosen the fuel rail or what??

And what kind of screws is use on the FPR??
Torx?

Thanks in advance!

Reg's
//Per A

·
Registered
647 Posts
Unfortunatly, you'll have to remove the rail on that side (at a minimum) to get to the requlator screws. I got 2 of them out, but couldn't get to the last one. I removed the entire upper intake and both fuel rails when I did mine, so I don't know if it can be done with the upper intake in place, it'll probably still be a PITA. They are hex screws, I don't know what size, but the size was in my standard kit..I don't believe it was metric, although I'm not positive on that, it was a long time ago when I did mine.

Just a note, whenever you pull the rails or injectors, it's a good idea to replace the injector o-rings. You can reuse them (I have done it...once), but any little nicks or scratches and you could have a fuel leak (I have done that too). In any case, rub some clean motor oil on the seals (upper and lower) before you re-install them. They are pretty cheap, and worth the insurance IMO.

Hope that helps a little bit...

Oh, and BTW, don't forget to relieve your fuel pressure first! Gasoline showers kinda suck...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...

Too bad... Well... Just to put it on the shelf for now then...
Unfortunately...
just to wait 'til I get some money to buy a new intake....

Well well...
Just to wait for some money to fall in my lap.... :D

Thanks a lot!

Reg's
//Per A

·
Registered
647 Posts
Why? It's not really a big deal. You can leave the TB attached...so the only thing's you'll need would be a upper-to-lower intake gasket, injector o-rings, and a few basic hand tools. The new regulator should have a gasket with it...

Another hint is to put Anti-sieze on the EGR pipe fitting...it makes it MUCH easier to remove next time!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I guess it's not that hard but I've only got two more weeks of vacation
and I've already spent 2 weeks under the car... The Gf is starting to whine... =D
And it would take me around two weeks to get the gaskets...
costing me around $30-40 just in shipping so I have to get it all
together into one big instead... Get's cheaper that way...
Really sux not to live in the states! :(

Thanks for the hint... I guess that thing will go out and in a few times
before I'm done! :)

Have a nice evening!

REg's
//Per A

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry, I know it's easy for me to say "all you need is..." which we take for granted here in the states. Then there's the GF's, and we won't go there. Last year I was doing a cruise-in 6 nights a week during the summer. I digress...

You MAY (a big may) be able to do it without the gaskets...HOWEVER, if something goes wrong, you could be out a car for awhile. In your case, it's probably best to have the parts on hand before attempting the job. If they all come off good, keep them as spares...you never know if you may need one in the future. I pinched one of my new o-rings installing the injectors and had a leak...oiled up and intalled one of the original ones, I'm glad I saved them.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
After nearly 270,000kms (around 170,000miles?) my upper to lower intake gasket came off no prob, and could of reused it.. But since i bought a `Head gasket kit' I used the one in it.. Saddly that kit DID come with a wrong EGR gasket.. and it (gasket set)was for my (our) car..<shrug>

But yah, I kept it, plus a set of New Injector O-rings, ( the injectors in it, only had like 16,000miles on them) So..

Also i have 2 extra sets of 19# injectors.. All needing testing and `rebuilding' (New pinacale caps and seals)

Also thinking of MN12's over seas, I wonder how the MN12 in australia is doing.. should Email that guy :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
YOU DON'T NEED TO PULL THE RAILS... IF... you have the handy dandy jimbo 5.0 T-bird FPR removal tool... basically... you get the right size alan key, cut off a straight 1/2" section, then grind the end off of an old screwdriver(about 1/2"-3/4" long) then weld the end you ground off the screwdriver at 90 degrees to the screwdriver shaft, then weld the little piece of alan key to that at 90 degress to it looks like a funky squarish "U" at the bottom of the old screwdriver...... then voiala!!! all you need to do is yank the upper intake for easy access. If you can't weld, find a shop that can.. it's easy for them to do this (just get the right sized key!!)

You should be able to re-use the intake gasket if you are careful about it... and let's see.. off the top of my head to remove the upper you'll need to

disconnect the throttle/TV cable (helps to unscrew their holding bracket, which is 10mm bolt heads) leave them off to the side

unhook the rubber air inlet from the TB (5/16" head on clamp)

unplug the IAC harness, and TPS harness

unplug the two vac lines off of the tree near the FPR (one big, one small for the FPR)

pull the PCV out of the gromment out back

undo the 6 upper hold-down bolts (1/2"?)

PULL... (I don't think I left anything out... but pull gently at first of course) it REALLY helps to have two people to lift gently, esp for putting it back on perfectly the first time w/o moving or damaging the gasket.

-Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
oh oops.. yeah forgot the egr... one vac line and the actual gas tube nut

-Jim

·
Registered
647 Posts
That sounds about right on the removal, Jim...good idea on the tool, a U shaped allen wrench would do it...coulda used that two years ago ;-) oh well. The "Special Ford Tool" lives on!

My concerns are that his intake gasket might come apart...mine did the first time I took it off...just don't want him to get stuck in the middle of the job and not being able to get one quick and for lots of $$$ for shipping across the pond. However, if it's not too bad, maybe he could use some gasket sealer or make a new temp gasket...that stuff should be available locally (don't use silicon Thyg0d, bits could be injested into the engine). Also, becase I had an o-ring leak on an injector (and it looked like a little scratch), he could have problems. However, with the "Special Ford Tool", that potiental could be eliminated :-D

·
Registered
154 Posts
mmm yeah, if it is real old it might come apart... like you said though.. some gasket maker on the end of a finger could make a good temp gasket that would last as long as you needed it to... as long as you go THIN, you don't want drips to mess with air flow :) afterall is it only the intake, sealing intake on N/A engines is pretty easy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts