TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my fuel pump is making an extremely loud buzzing, whinning noise at an idle. It has gradually been getting louder and more noticeable. I verified this by laying under the car and putting my ear against the gas tank. I heard the noise and felt the vibrations that went along with it.

My questions are:
1. What will be the result of this noise if the pump is not replaced....total pump failure?
2. Will my whinning:bawling: pump cause any performance issues?
3. Is this a symptom of a fuel pump that is going bad?
4. And since the gas tank has to be dropped to get to the pump would this project best be left to a shop?

1996 XR7 4.6L 83,000 miles

-hooD :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
replace ur fuel filter. It might just b the noise that ur car makes when the fuel pump is straining. U ever herd suburbans do this? I hear it all the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HanMan:
I replaced the fuel filter 2 days ago, and that seemed to make the noise even more pronounced.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My SC did it for 2 years. Finally said enough and changed the pump.

hooD said:
HanMan:
I replaced the fuel filter 2 days ago, and that seemed to make the noise even more pronounced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
replace fuel pump

1996 Cougar. Want to replace pump, no pressure, don't hear it 'click on' when I turn the key. Checked shutoff its ok, also no more pressure. Can I access the pump by removing the rear seat or I do have to drop the tank? How much clearance between floor pan and tank? Could I remove seat, cut out floor, replace pump then place new sheet metal on floor? No one ever sits back there anyway and only looking to get another 4-6 months out of car since it is about to turn 200,000.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
1996 Cougar. Want to replace pump, no pressure, don't hear it 'click on' when I turn the key. Checked shutoff its ok, also no more pressure. Can I access the pump by removing the rear seat or I do have to drop the tank? How much clearance between floor pan and tank? Could I remove seat, cut out floor, replace pump then place new sheet metal on floor? No one ever sits back there anyway and only looking to get another 4-6 months out of car since it is about to turn 200,000.
200,000? That 4.6 is just getting broken in!

Bob

·
Registered
274 Posts
your pump is cavitating it means its getting air and fuel at the same time giving you that sound

the same thing happens to powersteering pumps when their low on power steering fluid

the only problem is with fuelpumps the only option is replacing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts