TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't find anything obvious with a search, I was wondering what the consensus is for replacing the fuel pump on a 4.6 Thunderbird with something better than the stock pump. I plan on getting the heads done on my car along with other mods so I am assuming that a higher output fuel pump would be preferable.

As a example, looking online I came across this site -

https://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-1317978.1317758.1317996.1318641.1319337-automotive-1995-ford-thunderbird-4-6l.html

It has a couple different options for LPH and brands. The only name I've heard before is Walbro but the Quantum pump write-up seems to say that Walbro pumps are loud and not as advanced. I have no idea but the Honda I have been driving (while awaiting the Thunderbird's completion) just lost its fuel pump (will check to make sure) so I'm in the mood to get the Thunderbird's fuel pump swapped for a new one rather than get stuck on the side of the road (again). I wonder if anyone's tried out the Quantum pump.

So I guess I'm asking, what's the best choice in terms of LPH and brand for a 4.6 that will make around 300HP when it's finished (advice on injectors would also be welcomed)? And if there's a better source to buy from I'm all for that, too.

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
Your factory fuel pump IS a Walbro. Many horror stories with Walbro pumps, be it noise premature failure etc, might be that the market is flooded with Chinese fakes with real markings, you need to be careful who you buy these from since even legitimate venders have been hoodwinked by these. I have a 255lph(overkill) in my Cougar I bought through Summit and it’s quiet as a mouse. I recommend skipping the kits, none on that website are likely to fit a MN12 as the year ranges are totally wrong(85-97 covers a range between two totally different platforms with totally different fuel tanks), most likely they are ignorant to the platform change from the Fox to MN12 and simply list their kits to cover all “aero” Tbirds. Local parts stores carry the gasket and strainer and that’s really all you need outside the pump itself. I also had to buy a connector separately as well but the total cost was still less than the kits listed on that site.

190lph will be more than enough for your goals(stock is actually 70lph).

Spotting a Fake Walbro Fuel Pump
https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/spot-fake-walbro-gss342-fuel-pumps-2017-18/

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
I've had a 190 lph Walbro in my car for about 7 years now too, also as quiet as a mouse. No problems handling my modest build.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just went through this about a year ago and we had a nice discussion on here about it. Attached in there is a graph I made of all the common sizes for us.

https://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-6l-5-4l/179338-cant-fuel-pump.html

I think I ended up going with a Walbro 155lph. I'm still mostly stock and felt this was a gentle overkill. Its been super quiet and made a huge difference (stock ine was shot at 200k miles).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts