TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is a '90 XR-7.

The fuel pump runs constantly, even with the ignition off. If I don't disconnect the battery, it is dead in the morning. This is intermittant, but today was the second time this week.

I have been having alot of driveability issues and the CEL is on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
put it on a switch... doesn't fix the problem but you wont have to disconnect the battery everytime

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fuel pump relay.............

Replace the fuel pump relay, it's contacts are stuck together. Relay should be located in the fuse box in your engine compartment. No need to always disconnect the battery, just pull the relay when the car's parked. It's a common problem on the early model year T-Birds.

Chris.............

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Replace the fuel pump relay, it's contacts are stuck together. Relay should be located in the fuse box in your engine compartment. No need to always disconnect the battery, just pull the relay when the car's parked. It's a common problem on the early model year T-Birds.

Chris.............
yup, and while you are at it replace the PCM relay too, pretty nasty no starts when those things take a dump.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, and while you are at it replace the PCM relay too, pretty nasty no starts when those things take a dump.

Where is the PCM relay?

I pulled the fuel pump relay and it still runs, replaced it with a new one. Still ran. pulled the fuse and it stopped. So, now I am leaving the fuse out overnight.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Correction.............

Hey Faust turns out I gave you some mis-information. Your Fuel Pump Relay is located next to the inertia switch in the trunk left fender well. EEC relay, Horn relay and fuel pump fuse are located in the engine fuse box.

Apologies dude for any confusion, was trying to help.:eek:

Chris......................

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Faust turns out I gave you some mis-information. Your Fuel Pump Relay is located next to the inertia switch in the trunk left fender well. EEC relay, Horn relay and fuel pump fuse are located in the engine fuse box.

Now I am confused. I went to auto parts store and bought a new fuel pump relay. The diagram on the underhood fuse box was confusing, but referred to a fuel pump relay. There was only one relay in the box, so I pulled it an put in a new one.

I better have a look in the trunk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK, I tried to open the cover on the relays in the trunk Seems to be held by plastic rivets. I pulled them out, and broke on in the process. Cover is still tight as a drum.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just wondering if you're looking in the correct place in the trunk. The trunk upholstery is not that tough to remove from the left side, it should just fold out of the way? If your looking at a tight "riveted cover" as you describe then that does not sound right. Fuel pump relay should be beside the resetable inertia switch once the upholstery is pulled aside. There might even be hole in the upholstery for reaching in and pressing the inertia switch reset if you're looking for the location.

Hope this helps
Respectfully
Chris..........................

·
Registered
335 Posts
put it on a switch... doesn't fix the problem but you wont have to disconnect the battery everytime
It's funny you should mention that...

A year or two back I bought a 1990 Tbird with a 3.8 for $250. I thought it would be an easy clean and sell for a decent gain, but I was wrong.

Anyways, someone installed a switch across the high power fuse for the fuel pump. I replaced that fuse, replaced the fuel pump relay with an extra I had, and it ran perfectly.

If I recall, the relay wasn't hard to get to at all, and it was on the left (driver's) side of the trunk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts