TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend of mine and he was telling me about a switch he installs in every car he ever gets to shut off the fuel pump. He says he just installs an interuptor switch in line on one of the fuel pump wires that so he can shut off the pump to prevent theft. Does anybody know if this can be done in a 95 T-Bird, or how it might be done? I was thinking maybe inline with one of the puel pump inertia switch, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Thanks!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an alarm or remote start. I do know about the inerta switch in the trunk. I was just wondering about installing a switch inside the cabin. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes it can be done, and in fact i have one installed one on my car.
There are several ways to do it, but i found the easiest way was to cut one of the wires that goes to the fuel shut off switch in the truck, and put a switch between the cut ends(it doesnt matter which wire you cut). then just mount you swtich where ever you want inside the car.
Be sure to mount the switch in a very hidden location, yet easy to access without looking "noticable" of what your doing. in my opinion, a well hidden/placed fuel cut off switch is the single best anti-theft (not anti-break in) device you can have, it saved my @$$ once already.
ive had friends search my car for my switch without any luck in finding it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The purpose for the switch in the trunk is to shut off the fuel pump when you get in a accident. So to pop the switch just hit it with a hammer and then you can just push the button back down to activate the pump.

So if you have a criminal record do not buy a T-Bird because you will not get away with a hit and run.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
Ashish said:
The purpose for the switch in the trunk is to shut off the fuel pump when you get in a accident. So to pop the switch just hit it with a hammer and then you can just push the button back down to activate the pump.
yes, i knew it was for that purpose, i just didnt know how to deactivate it. hit what with a hammer?

·
Registered
615 Posts
hit the switch in the trunk with a hammer this will make the button pop up and the fuel pump will be deactivated, just push the red button back down and you are all set to go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So what exactly would need to be done to install an in-cabin switch to the fuel delivery shut-off? i mean are you saying to just take any wire that runs to the fuel switch and divide it, then throw a switch in between the two? Which wire would I need to install a switch to?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crisqob said:
So what exactly would need to be done to install an in-cabin switch to the fuel delivery shut-off? i mean are you saying to just take any wire that runs to the fuel switch and divide it, then throw a switch in between the two? Which wire would I need to install a switch to?
You beat me to the question. That's pretty much what I've been trying to ask.

Do those wires run underneath the car itself, or in the interior underneath the carpet, seats etc? If so would it be better to cut them in the trunk and run longer wires from there or in the cabin. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, thats exactly what im saying
Pull the carpet back around the switch and follow the wires and no, they dont run underneath the car.
The harness runs behind the left side of the rear passenger seat, so you will need to remove the rear seat to gain access to the wires if you want to cut the wire further towards the front of the car. it really doesnt matter where you cut the wire, the further to the rear of the car you cut it, the more wire you will need between the cut spot and your switch. and like i said, no it doesnt matter which of the two wires you cut, either wire will open the circuit and do what you want it to do.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info!! Looks like I have something to fiddle with this weekend now.

On a semi related subject, has anybody ever installed a battery cut off switch?

·
Registered
20 Posts
why would you want that?
unless you wanted to either run 4 guage wire into the interior of your car and use a big bulky switch that can handle the amps that your batt cranks out, or make use of a few relays, a battery cut off switch is kinda pointless
fuel pump shutoff is the way to go

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a good point. I was just asking. Thanks. I got my fuel pump shut off switch installed. Pretty easy. Just cut the green/ yellow wire underneath the back seat drivers side, routed extensions and installed an interupter switch.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm building a fuel pump disabler, and have decided to kill the starter too, so the scum won't burn it up trying to start a dead car.

To kill the fuel, its easire to break one of the wires to the fuel pump relay coil - less than 0.2 amps here, versus 5+ for the pump itself.

Killing the batt is OK, except that you lose all the learned stuff in the PCM and more annoying, your radio presets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts