TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few days, I would have to start and stop it a few times occasionally to keep it from working after I removed the key from the ignition.

Today, it will not stop unless I yank the fuse from the box. Anyone else had this happen? I think it may be the ignition switch not cutting out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Is the engine running, or is it just the fuel pump that keeps going?

If the engine keeps running, I think the fault would be more widespread than just the fuel pump, because the ignition wouldn't be energized through that circuit. Right? So that sounds like it could be the ignition switch.

If the fuel pump keeps humming, hmm ... I dunno. Perhaps it's the fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it is just the pump that keeps buzzing with a high pitch whine.

I let it sit for 20 minutes and then put the fuse back in. All is quiet until I open the door and then it starts again.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Probably a bad (sticking) fuel pump relay. That's where I'd look.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Warped said:
Probably a bad (sticking) fuel pump relay. That's where I'd look.
i second that, my old f150 did that to me and that was the cause.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
no they just go bad with age

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The relay itself doesn't see any fuel. It's in the trunk with the inertia cut-off switch. Relays have a spring-loaded contact inside, and that eventually wears out. So instead of making a circuit only when the primary side is energized, it makes a circuit all the time. It's sort of like a DIS pack with primaries and secondaries - the secondary, high power side only has current when the primary, low power side does. (That's a little oversimplified, but that's the general idea.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Flex said:
For the last few days, I would have to start and stop it a few times occasionally to keep it from working after I removed the key from the ignition.

Today, it will not stop unless I yank the fuse from the box. Anyone else had this happen? I think it may be the ignition switch not cutting out. Any thoughts? Thanks.
mine does the same thing but only in the rain i have no idea why, it will just keep going if i let it, i usually just disconnect the battery . everytime it rains it will do it dont know why

1 - 10 of 10 Posts