TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st question--what is the 'exact'difference in the fuel rails between the 94/5 and 96+ styles?? (4.6) Are they wider or longer or something? When I swtich over from the 94 style to the 96+ style, will the fuel lines match right up, or will there have to be some customizing stuff going on? And last...96/7 birds/cats have the same rails as a 96+ Gt Stang correct? I do believe that they are the same part number but I just want to double check on that one. Thanks

Joe

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The 94-95 fuel lines from the tank to the rails mate up in a different spot along the passenger side fuel rail, so those won't want to match up. The 96-98 fuel rails also have the fuel pressure regulator on the opposite side of the motor.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when I switch up to the 96 style rails, I will have to do a bit of custom bending (or whatever is necessary) to get it to match up correctly??

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
whitecoug said:
So when I switch up to the 96 style rails, I will have to do a bit of custom bending (or whatever is necessary) to get it to match up correctly??
If you're uber careful, I'm told you can bend the fuel lines to meet up, or you can just change the fuel lines from the filter area forward. Not sure how difficult that would be with the engine in the car, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where abouts is the filter at?? When I switch all this over, I'll be doing a head swap at the same time, so half the motor will be out anyways. that might not make it too bad. Thanks

Joe

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The filter is along the passenger side frame rails, under the car, right around even with the front of the passenger door. Take a peek under there sometime and you'll see a round shield, the fuel filter is behind that.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent. Thanks for all the good info. I'm going to have to look into that further to see what I can do.

Joe

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
When we swapped my fuel lines out, the motor was out and the car was on a lift. I'm not sure if we needed to have the motor out, but it was fairly simple to do with the car in the air.

And yes, a '96/7 Bird should use the same fuel rail as a '96/7 GT. Not sure about '98.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK one more for you...fuel filter the same in all years, or since I'll probably swap out the fuel lines will there be mating problems between the two sets of lines?? Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
298 Posts
AverageJoe said:

If you're uber careful, I'm told you can bend the fuel lines to meet up, or you can just change the fuel lines from the filter area forward. Not sure how difficult that would be with the engine in the car, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.
It's pretty easy. Just be patient and have a light touch so you don't bend them.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Palmguy said:
When we swapped my fuel lines out, the motor was out and the car was on a lift. I'm not sure if we needed to have the motor out, but it was fairly simple to do with the car in the air.

And yes, a '96/7 Bird should use the same fuel rail as a '96/7 GT. Not sure about '98.
96-97 bird rails and 96-97 stangs fuel rails are the same , the 98 gt rails work too but you cant use a after market FRP (Fuel pressure regulator) .

Jurgen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts