TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual lists the tank as 18.0 gallons, and of course it's nearly impossible to use all 18 gallons and run the tank down COMPLETELY empty- even if the car stalled out for lack of fuel there's probably still at least an 1/8 of a gallon sloshing around out of reach of the pick-up, right??

I just filled up at a gas station today and pumped 18.42 gallons. There've been a few times before (at various stations) where I've filled up with 17.5 or 17.7 or so while still having a bit showing on the gauge, and been a little suspicious of the pump's accuracy. But pumping almost a 1/2 gallon more than the tank's capacity seems very suspect (no, it wasn't spwewing out the filler neck)

Is Ford's 18.0 gal capacity accurate? I think I have a valid gripe with the NC State Dept of Consumer Services. They have a web site and an e-mail link to the Dept's manager to report such complaints. This particular station has the cheapest price I've seen in months on Premium 93 ($1.89), which is why I went there, but I wonder if they're compensating by over charging.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
FWIW, I've pumped in over 18 gallons on numerous occasions. There are time where I simply want to see how far the car will go on a tank of gas. I've gone over 460 miles a fair number of times, with the best being 514 miles.

I'm not sure how one can verify the actual capacity, unless a 'salvage yard' gas tank is tested. However, Ford notes in the Manufacturers Motor Vehicle Specifications that the fuel tank for the 1992+ models is 18 gallons. Why can we pump in more?

Dunno...when I went that 514 miles, 19.625 gallons of fuel was pumped in, surprising me a bit, to say the least. The car had run out of gas right at the gas station, so, since the opportunity arose, I crammed it full, just to see how much it takes to top off the tank.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
You can always pump more, because they give you that 18 as a base figure. Manufacturers generally give you a figure a gallon or two below the tank's actual capacity as sort of a reserve, so when the gauge registers as being empty, you actually have enough gas left that should get you to a gas station.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I've never pumped more than about 15.5-15.6 gallons into my tank, and that after driving with the low fuel light on.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Is the fill hose factored in to the 18 gallons? I would think it could hold at least another half gallon.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If the front of the car is leaning downhill a little, you can put more gas in than you thought. Sounds weird, but more air escapes thru the fill tube. You can only put the gas in as fast as the air comes out. Hence the two vent holes. Nascar has one big vent hole on the car. That's the only reason they can cram 20 gallons in the tank in maybe ten seconds. The can used to deliver the fuel has a big vent in the top too. It's the beer bong theory !! Shot gun style. So your tank has some air in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts