TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple of t'birds (95 3.8, 96 4.6) that need new fuel pumps. Pulled the fuel tank from the '96 and found the straps and shields to be so far gone as not to be safe to reinstall. The 95 is even worse. I've spent a fair amount of time searching junkyards and replacement parts manufacturers with no luck. Junk yard tanks have rotted shields and straps and I can't find a manufacturer that makes an aftermarket part. Anybody else had this problem? Anybody know of a reasonable solution or aftermarket part?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
get one from a southern car. the salt is what the problem is. i've never seen rusty tank straps

·
Registered
294 Posts
mine rusted and snapped, basically, the only choice you have is to find a used one, or make one yourself. Luckily I had one off my 92 that wasn't too rusted, I sanded it down, sprayed it with a rust inhibitor, and primed it. I highly suggest doing that, because you will never have problems with it again afterwards.

making your own shouldn't be too hard, it's just a straight piece of metal bent around the tank then up with two 90* bends with holes for bolts. The hardest part would be getting the old bolts out...lol

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
that would be really shyty to have the tank fall from under the car on the highway

·
Registered
294 Posts
that would be really shyty to have the tank fall from under the car on the highway
(un)luckily, mine snapped on a side road, and not a major highway, and it only snapped on one end of the strap, so the tank was supported by the strap, which made a terrible grinding noise until I pulled over :(

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
oh yeaaahhh you kinda forge tthat kinda stuff when there hasnt been a fuel tank under my mn12 for a few years now:eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I've looked for a tank in the southwest but yards won't ship because of some interstate rule against shipping used tanks. Whole shield is so rusted that it has the consistency of a burned potato chip. Could fab straps but can't fab shield. Anybody set up a fuel cell? If so, some tips?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts