TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Manual shift

papajohn said:
What's the point? Put a '98 T-45 trans. in there and discover what motoring is all about.
I dont have the ability to make the few custom pieces that are needed to make that work. but one of these days, im going to get in contact with you and jim to figure that out.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
papajohn said:
It will literally turn your car into afun driving mid-size sports car
well that is what im looking to do, my next big thing to do to the car is the manual swap, what would be the trans of choice that would be the easiest to use? t-56 or t-45??? or any other suggestions? new cobra trans the 6speed, (what is that one the t56?)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
T-56

Better check the gear ratios on the t-56 vs the Cobra t-45. I believe you will find the t-45 has closer ratios 1st, 2nd and 3rd than the t-56. The t-56 has 2 overdrive gears, how much good is that for performance? It may let you run lower rear gears, but how low a 1st. gear do you want? with 3:55 gears and the Cobra 1st. gear I need to shift out of 1st. almost immediately.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, with the extra overdrive gear you can run monster gears in the rear such is 4.10s or maybe 4.56s. I'm not sure if you could get the speedo reading right, but Vipers come with 4.10s stock...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Re: T-56

papajohn said:
Better check the gear ratios on the t-56 vs the Cobra t-45. I believe you will find the t-45 has closer ratios 1st, 2nd and 3rd than the t-56. The t-56 has 2 overdrive gears, how much good is that for performance? It may let you run lower rear gears, but how low a 1st. gear do you want? with 3:55 gears and the Cobra 1st. gear I need to shift out of 1st. almost immediately.
Makes sense. What I wanted to ask you for is a bit more clarity when you say

papajohn said:
It may let you run lower rear gears, but how low a 1st. gear do you want? with 3:55 gears and the Cobra 1st. gear I need to shift out of 1st. almost immediately.
What is "It", the T-45 or T-56? I'm taking it as the T-56. And are you saying that the 3:55 is a high or low gear, and relative to what? Just want to catch this. This is highly educational.

Btw, any updates on you bird?

·
Registered
102 Posts
T-56........T-45

The '96-98 Cobra T-45 has very close ratios between 1st. and 3rd. gears. The GT does not. --I believe-- The T-56 doesn't have quite the closeness of ratios and basically this trans. has two overdrives, 5th and 6th...this is my understanding--could be wrong, but I don't think so. If you run 4:11 rear gears with the T-56 to reduce the tall 6th gear, you will have such a low 1st and 2nd, gear that the motor will red line too soon-quicker than you would want. The T-45 is perfect as far as gearing goes, 5th gear is very tall and works good as overdrive when using 3:55 rear gears.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Re: T-56........T-45

papajohn said:
The '96-98 Cobra T-45 has very close ratios between 1st. and 3rd. gears. The GT does not. --I believe-- The T-56 doesn't have quite the closeness of ratios and basically this trans. has two overdrives, 5th and 6th...this is my understanding--could be wrong, but I don't think so. If you run 4:11 rear gears with the T-56 to reduce the tall 6th gear, you will have such a low 1st and 2nd, gear that the motor will red line too soon-quicker than you would want. The T-45 is perfect as far as gearing goes, 5th gear is very tall and works good as overdrive when using 3:55 rear gears.
Thanks. Is that for average/moderate horsepower? Is it right to say that the higher the horse, the higher the gears that should be used too, given a matching tranny? By lower gears, I'm referring to 4:10s as a base and going down from there.

I see many fast MN-12s on here that run 3:55 and 3:73 gears. 4.10 would be overkill. That right?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Hey Jurgen, that would be awesome. I forgot you know him in person. Anyways, if you read through the first page of posts you'll see what its about, as well as the questions we want to ask him. I could REALLY use this semi-auto manual shift thing considering my rpms peak at 4600rpm during the 1-2 and I don't have near the money needed for a chip.

Namely our questions for Him are whether or not this would hurt the longevity of the tranny. Or whether it would hurt it all. Could you also ask him what would be involved for an electronic transbrake that still allows full street drivability?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Horsepower is related to rpm, so if you have a motor that will go to say 6500 rpm without starving for fuel you can use a rear gear like 3:73 or 4:10 but if you have a low 1st and 2nd gear ratio like the Cobra T-45, you will still need to shift almost immediately due to the rapid rpm surge.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
papajohn said:
Horsepower is related to rpm, so if you have a motor that will go to say 6500 rpm without starving for fuel you can use a rear gear like 3:73 or 4:10 but if you have a low 1st and 2nd gear ratio like the Cobra T-45, you will still need to shift almost immediately due to the rapid rpm surge.
In that situation, some 3:55s would be better suited? Could I ask what your stats are?

And I just want to say that I am enjoying seeing you and others, who I understand are part of an old guard here, back here and offering input. Thanks. It's great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts