TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put together a 1998 4.6 bottom end with PI heads, cams, & intake.

Just wonder what I can expect out of this... I mean it will have higher comperssion, better flowing heads and more lift on the cams but its still only 4.6 liters.

Anyone have any personal reviews of thier PI swap... was it worth it? how does it compare to the NPI setup?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well if you are going to run a stock mn12 EEC, the gains wont be as impressive compared to if you got a good SCT tune on a chip or Xcalibrator 2

with PI heads/cams/intake on the stock EEC expect around 215-220 rwhp, +/- 5 rwhp....get a good tune and you get upwards of 230 rwhp, and just a importantly better driveability and fuel economy

i had done PI cams/intake on the stock 97 heads, and with a previous SCT dyno tune, car ran very well.....your's will only run better due to the slight bump in compression

if you can buy, or score a decent set of used Comp or Crower stage1 or 2 cams, slap those badboys in there and get them degree'd while its all apart and you'll have a very strong street car with a lot of potential when it comes time to do rear gears, torque converter, etc, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the car is actually a 93 Crown vic... I come to this forum because its much more active with 4.6/4R70W info than the other panther forums.

The PI heads also have larger valves over the NPI heads, if that means much.

I do plan on getting a tune down the road, but dam tunes are so expensive...

As it sits the 93 Vic has a 96 4R70W trans (J-modded), with 3.08 gearing, & factory duals... I upgraded to COP's, and converted to the 98 NPI intake and throttle body (since I will need the throttle body for the PI intake to work anyway).

During the engine swap I plan to put in a 11.25 converter. After the engine swap I plan to go with 3.55 gearing, delete the cats and runs a better exhaust, & convert to electric cooling fans.

Should be a decent daily driver. I do plan on giving it a 100 HP shot as well.

Trying to keep it a somewhat cheap build with as much factory parts (from Ebay and junk yards) as possible. All in all, its just my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Intake valve size is the same, do the full head swap with that motor as you can't do just the cams. Get the intake tube, EGR and stuff from a 96+ CV since that changed as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes... I have a 1998 bottom end and the PI heads, cams, & intake sitting aside awaiting to be assembled and dropped in.

I converted the cars intake already to the 96 and up style just to work out any issues so that on engine drop day, it will be straight forward.

Is it the exhaust valve that larger than? I know I read somewere about larger valves.

Heres a few pics as it sits today...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Looking good, my pops has a 94 Town Car in that kind of brand new condition. Do the swap and don't look back IMHO. It is the exhaust valve that is slightly bigger.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I'm a fan of the swap :thumbsup: they run ok without a tune but to get the most out of it sct xcal2 is the way to go :D

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
:thumbsup:

Its great at red lights when the guy in the scion ion knows you have to merge into his lane for a broken down truck . He wont let you merge you have to beat him so that you can merge . So he floors it and you floor it , you take the lead and merge without a sweat . He had no idea you have a PI Thunderbird ( or in your case CV ) and will never underestimate a Bird again . :tongue:

One more thumbs up vote from me .
Good times.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thumbsup:

Its great at red lights when the guy in the scion ion knows you have to merge into his lane for a broken down truck . He wont let you merge you have to beat him so that you can merge . So he floors it and you floor it , you take the lead and merge without a sweat . He had no idea you have a PI Thunderbird ( or in your case CV ) and will never underestimate a Bird again . :tongue:

One more thumbs up vote from me .
Good times.
I notice you are pulling a 9.2 on the 1/8th, not bad for most of your parts being production factory parts. Thats kinda the route I'm gonna go with this build. I would be happy with 9.2 on the 1/8th N/A... And then a shot would only be icing on the cake?

I will be putting in a mark Viii converter during the engine swap as well, its easiest then.

Does the complete PI swap on a NPI bottom end provide better torque? or is it just all top-end power?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Pi heads on a non pi block gives you more compression and more power ,
not sure if its torque or hp though .
The mark III converter works well but if I had to do it all over again I would save for higher stall converter .

·
Registered
647 Posts
What transmission is in the 93 Crown Vic?

·
Registered
418 Posts
save up for the tune. its the best money you'll ever spend...without a doubt. its more than just power/tq. overall driveability is much improved...trans will feel more crisp, etc.

i have an old jerry tune but some of the guys doing the SCT tunes learned from him. go with that stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What transmission is in the 93 Crown Vic?
Right now I have a 4R70W (wide ratio) from a 96 P71, with aluminum drive shaft in the 93 Vic. I'm looking to swap it for a 1998 or never whenever its time.

I had to get creative to allow the converter to stay locked... Since it see's the different over drive ratio of the 4R70W Vs the AODE as a converter clutch slip, it shuts down the lockup after like 5 minutes. Some creative wireing fixxed that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
save up for the tune. its the best money you'll ever spend...without a doubt. its more than just power/tq. overall driveability is much improved...trans will feel more crisp, etc.

i have an old jerry tune but some of the guys doing the SCT tunes learned from him. go with that stuff.
I will eventually have to fork up 400 bucks for a tune. I dont like paying 400 bucks for something I cant transfer to another car (unless its pretty much the same Y/M) but I wont have much of a choice further down the road, especially once I start spraying it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts