TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tearing apart my old PI Swapped NPI motor and getting some MHS prepared heads with cams, so I'll have an entire set of bone stock 2003 PI heads with cams, intake manifold, alternator bracket, valley tube, water pump nipple, pretty much everything but the fuel rails off the Explorer motor. You'll need to supply the gaskets.

Shipping on the heads will be expensive, I expect at least $100 for shipping. The rest of the stuff is pretty light.

I'm thinking $400 shipped, but I'm open to offers. I'll post pictures once I pull the heads off the Explorer.

·
Super Moderator
17,039 Posts
I don't want to be a debbie downer but have you given further examination to them? The cracked cam tower you showed in the teardown thread is worrying, close examination of the cam bores and combustion chambers and valves would be a must, as those don't just crack, so there must have been some sort of event to cause it, failure related or not(and hey it could have simply been an overprying follower install by the previous owner, in which case it's not a big deal, Windsors and Trick Flows aren't even girdled)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't want to be a debbie downer but have you given further examination to them? The cracked cam tower you showed in the teardown thread is worrying, close examination of the cam bores and combustion chambers and valves would be a must, as those don't just crack, so there must have been some sort of event to cause it, failure related or not(and hey it could have simply been an overprying follower install by the previous owner, in which case it's not a big deal, Windsors and Trick Flows aren't even girdled)
Since I'm going to buy mhs stock mod heads with cams and everything, I'm going to sell the 2003 Explorer heads/intake/etc. The heads off the original motor in my Thunderbird I'm sure are garbage, but I have a full Explorer motor that runs ready to drop in. So it'll be known good heads I sell since I'm getting new ones, make sense?

Kuller, I'll update you in a week or so once I get the heads off the Explorer with pics.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooooh, I shouldn't post so late :tongue:
It's all good, I can understand the confusion.

I don't want to unload any junk.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also might be interested
If you look in the Decision time thread in the 4.6 subforum, you can see the heads that were on my dead motor. I had main bearing failure, but the heads look perfect. No valve damage, only issue is a cracked girdle, which may have happened to it when they were installing the spring retainers.

Those would be for sale for $250 shipped, they have some valve work done on them, but I need to keep the intake. They have not been set down on the combustion chamber side, only stood up on the back ends.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to leave you guys hanging. I'll have pictures for you guys this weekend I hope. Planning on getting the top end of the engine off Saturday and Sunday.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update...

I didn't get as far this weekend as I wanted. I had to spend a few hours over at my wife's grandma's yesterday putting in a new battery in her F350. Putting the battery in was a 10 minute job, but the hour there and hour back killed my time to work on the car.

I did get the intake manifold off, and it looks good. No leaks, no coolant in the plug wells, but I did break the wiring to one coil, but I'm keeping the coils anyway.

I tried to rent a harmonic balancer puller today, but it took me all day to get the fan clutch off to get the water pump out. BUT, I finally got that damn pump out, so the harmonic can come off this week, along with the front cover and the heads.

I'll have some pics of the intake in a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's pics of the intake, plug wells, little bit of carbon in the intake runners of the heads, but no other issues I can see.
I'll have them off this week.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the cam covers off, all the front cover bolts, I just need the harmonic balancer pulley and I'm good to get the heads off.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sale pending.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
put me in line behind the 3 other people I guess. I am not looking forward to having to go junkyard spelunking to find a good pi head swap kit. 400$ works better for me.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
put me in line behind the 3 other people I guess. I am not looking forward to having to go junkyard spelunking to find a good pi head swap kit. 400$ works better for me.
Will do. I will update the thread either way.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, being a patient and understanding guy, I was giving Xamot all kinds of time to get the heads/intake etc from me as he was in auto shop classes, and having some personal things going on, so since it's cold out, no rush... But, I haven't heard from him in over a month, and he's not replying to text messages, so I think it's time to put these back up on the market. Kueller, you're up first, if you want them, they're yours. Can get them out as soon as Monday if you want them.

I did send a PM as well. Sorry for dragging it out, just trying to help a guy out. :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone interested in these? $400 shipped gets you all the expensive stuff for a pi swap. Also included is the valley tube and throttle body, as well as all the bolts for the intake/throttle body.

You can't find this stuff all at the junkyard (at least, not around me) this cheap and they came off a known good motor. Just scrape where the gaskets go, clean em up with some carb cleaner, and you're ready to go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.