TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a fullsize spare (235/60/15) fit in the donut spare opening in the truck of a '95 bird, and still be able to put the floor panel back in?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I have a 225/60-15 and it sticks up a couple inches. You MIGHT get a 195/60-15 or 205/60-15 to fit. The problem is not the depth of the well, but the sides are rounded in so a large tire won't even rest on the bottom.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Cut it out and make the opening bigger. :D I've seen someone put a box for 4 15" JL subs in that spot in a Monte Carlo.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've been thinking about this. I don't realy like the whole doughnut thing. Has anyone given any thought to doing like mentioned above and cutting out a hole for the tire to stick through? I'd given it some thought, but wanted to see what everyone else thought.

I'm running a 225/60/16

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Get a flat sheet of metal and cut out 4 squares, one from each corner. Then cut out the old one and weld the new one together and weld it in place.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Posted by 93pimpin:
Get a flat sheet of metal and cut out 4 squares, one from each corner. Then cut out the old one and weld the new one together and weld it in place.
Am I the only one confused but that lol. Not trying to pick on you but i was lost after the first half. I am interested in a full spare back there too.

·
11,719 Posts
I didn't get the four squares part either, but the idea is to cut the sheet metal out where it inteferes with the tire, and then weld in new sheet metal in a box shape instead of the formed stock shape.

The problem is that there isn't much room infront of the spare tire well, and that's where you need it the most to hold a full size spare. I would make a template out of cardboard, and then see if it fits before cutting any of the stock sheetmetal. Floor pans are expensive and even more expensive to replace.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
jimmy_04 said:
Am I the only one confused but that lol. Not trying to pick on you but i was lost after the first half. I am interested in a full spare back there too.

Hes talking about making a box. Take a square piece of metal, cut for equal size squares out of each corner, then fold whats left up, weld the seams and you have a box.

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
The problem with that idea is that the swaybar and diff case are just forward of the spare tire well. Therefore, you couldn't make the tire well much bigger than stock.

IMHO, it's not really worth that much time/labor just to have a full size spare.

-Rod

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ya. I was also wondering about the abillity to add a spare tire with the room you have below. You could also make a false floor and build it up so you can fit a full-sized spare tire without modification to the sheetmetal. If you wanted to add a stereo system in the back, you could build it into the false floor, consealing most of it. You can also make storage bins out of the rest.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
The idea I'd had was to get a 7-spoke and tire (even one with a smaller diameter if possible) and cut a proper diamter hole in the spare tire cover and lay over it and put the center cap in. I just don't know where my subwoofers would go, lol.

·
11,719 Posts
If you went with a single exhaust outlet, you might have enough room to have the tire on end at one side of the trunk. Or you could extend the spare tire well rearwards, perhaps taking out some of the bumper, as the bumper cover would easily hide it.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
If you do the faux floor idea, you could make a door for the amp, then build your sub box out of the floor.

http://www.cardomain.com/profile/stangdude

As far as the exhaust out one side and spare on the other side, you could do the Corvette exhaust, dual out the middle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts