TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious: How come Ford implemented these (very modern for the times) LED taillights on Thunderbird but not on Cougar?

I wonder if anyone remembers any articles on the subject from back when. I imagine that they looked at it as a real-world test for LEDs.

I do remember reading about Ford using fluorescent tubes in Explorer center high-mount stop lights (and in the Mark VIII taillight of course).

Just interesting how these innovations came about.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,483 Posts
Most likely cost, the Tbird originally came with trunklid reflectors only like the Cougar until the LED ones came out in 1992, which required a new trunklid and all new housings for the lights. With the way these cars were treated by the accountants they probably weren’t willing to do more than the Tbird, especially with the Cougar already receiving a revised panel in 1991. It’s possible as well the LED panels were created on a functional basis, the corner taillights are smaller on the Tbird than the Cougar since they’re angled at the rink lid seam and the resulting light output is just that much less.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
The LED third brake light in the spoiler was also somewhat high end for the time. I think the LED strip says made in Spain? I remember driving with my Dad back in the 90s, and he sometimes would point out the cars with LEDs tail lights from the factory. If I recall Cadillac was also one of the earlier ones with them.

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
I saw these the other day; they have inputs for brake, park, and turn signals; not sure how good they would work in the cougar housings, but I'll find out. :)

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I saw these the other day; they have inputs for brake, park, and turn signals; not sure how good they would work in the cougar housings, but I'll find out. :)

They look to wide.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
That's a nice looking Cougar!
I need to find a spoiler for the red car.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,483 Posts
That's a nice looking Cougar!
I need to find a spoiler for the red car.
A E4 bright red 96 Cougar Sport (with the wing) was one of the first MN12s I looked at before getting mine, the dealership wanted way too much for it, which says a lot because I probably overspent on mine, but the miles on mine were way lower. That uncommon non-metallic red color on 96s is ironically my MN12 white whale.

And Mike is correct, you need the thinnest LED ribbon you can find to fit them inside 94-97 Cougar housings, there’s no room inside them. Years ago I tried jamming a Tbird LED strip in there but at only 3/8” wide it was still way too wide. It needs to be flexible too since the reflector is curved, anything straight and rigid won’t work even if it’s super thin

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,199 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts