TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys im getting this screeching noise coming from under the car sometimes and other times i don't hear it at all. but what gets me is that it only happens wh en i put it in a gear. so. my question is will the torque converter make a screeching noise when its going out

·
Registered
58 Posts
When the thrust bearing inside the converter wears out it usually causes a whine when stopped and in gear(reverse or drive) dissapating when vehicle speed increases(whine will reappear at shift points)
If the screach sound is only for a moment when shifter is moved from R to D, then I would look for a dry/rusty universal joint.
Good luck,

Kevin.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank u for the advice. the sound starts when put in gear and u can hear it for maybe 3 mins but then some times it u can hear it all the time. and sometimes it makes a totally different sound kinda like a noise that u would make for a train( chugga chugga....). and its diffenty coming from the oil pan, bell housing and cat region.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any chance of you making a recording of the noise and uploading it?, and try to keep microphone out of any wind rushing around.
I'm sure somebody here will be able to "Name that Noise" if they can hear it clearly.

Kevin.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great idea ill post tomorrow.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i tried to get a recording but the car wouldn't make it. so i drove it around but still nothing, a good thing but i want to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
My guess is a bad bronze bushing in one of the Drums that commonly scores & squeals orior to seazing & taking out the Tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts