TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one got a good location for the Fuse Holder under the Hood. I want to make sure I have enough Clearance be fore I start drilling holes. See the Picture, Can I put it in one of the two places I have outlined? Or is there a better place to put it??

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
I ran mine....

down below that distribution box.That gave me a sraight shot from the positive battery terminal.I zip tied it so if I ever need to change a fuse all i have to do is cut the ties and change it.Just a though.
Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think your hood would crush the fuseholder in the spot that you have outlined. I can't really tell a good spot from the pic, but try to get it as close to the battery as possible. Under the distro box sounds like a good option to me as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What kind of fuseholder is it

if it's compact enough like mine, you can screw into the top of your distrobox cover and have it extend off of that. It looks great on mine, but if you went out and paid $40 for one of those huge stinger fuseholders you might have a problem. If it's too big to mount to the side of the top of the distrobox, then i agree with lx-tasy. Put it under.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I put mine on top of the fuse block and it worked fine for me

·
Registered
933 Posts
i have a holder like tazer's and I put it on the fender in between the battery and the fender cause the battery doesnt move and is low enough

G

·
i ran the wire all the way through the firewall and then I put the fuse right under the dash.

Tazer... you got one small as* power wire..... damn... I thought I was cheap by using 4 guage ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
thats a bad spot dude
if it shorts someplace, your bird's feathers will be beyond singed
the reason for the fuse is fire protection

·
Registered
825 Posts
Jimbo: ? You talkin to me? The best place for the fuse is as close to the power source as possible so that it CAN"T SHORT OUT. The fuse is to regulat the power so that it won't short out. The closer you have it to the battery, the better chances it won't screw up

PS: That is 4 gauge wire, :p Besides, I only got a cheapo system, :D

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
its not even neccessary to mount the fuse holder, just tuck it in between something.

·
Registered
933 Posts
nonononon
i'm talking too krusher who put it up in the dash
that's a bad spot cause it's like 6 feet from teh power source
fire in the hole!!...err dashboard

·
Registered
81 Posts
whoa....really....?

i put mine right inside the firewall under my dash too... its got about a foot of wire coming in through the firewall, then the fuse holder... is that really bad? .. its not powering an external amp, but it's powering the amp in my alpine CDA-7894...

V-Drive Hybrid Amplifier: A V-Drive MOSFET power unit is used to boost the incoming voltage from 14.4 volts (approx.) to 17.2 volts. The increased voltage allows the unit to deliver peak output of 60 watts x 4 channels. While providing high power output, this unit can draw a substantial amount of current, so the constant power wire must be connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery in your vehicle.
the HU came with a harness w/ a 20amp inline fuse on the constant power wire on the harness....which woulda been like... 6 inches to 1 foot from the HU itself... but i bought another wiring harness, and used that one instead... pulled the constant power wire, soldered it to some 8 gauge power wire... and ran it to the battery...

is it really bad.. should i move the fuse closer to the battery?

·
Registered
933 Posts
yes always keep the fuse as close as possible to the battery
that way if there's a short between the battery and unit being powered it ownt wreck your battery and start a fire, just pop the fuse

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got mine just to the right of the hydrolic for the hood. Although I have a circuit breaker and that was like the only place to put it. I know that is kinda far but I figured it should be ok.

G

·
Jimbo said:
thats a bad spot dude
if it shorts someplace, your bird's feathers will be beyond singed
the reason for the fuse is fire protection
there should be no problem in having a breaker under the dash. Besides... the actual breaker is probably more secure than a power distribution box... I ain't worried ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
if the insulation would tear away and short out in between the battery and the fuse, the fuse wont blow, it will blow if the short is after the fuse, that is its purpose
you can have more than one fuse on a power wire, but one should be extremely close to the battery

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I mounted mine on both of my cars on the shock tower, just find a spot low enough on it that it won't be hit by the hood. Depends on the year of the car cause some have the washer fluid tank right there as shown in the pic above. My '91 has it there so I mounted it on the side of the shock tower closest to the engine. You may or may not have room for it there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts