TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a set of old (but never used) Gabriel front shocks for Cougar/T-bird, and the ones on the car need replacing bad. Anyone ever used these before and are they any good? Would they handle a 1" to 1.5" drop?
I don't want to bother putting them on if they aren't worth using, especially lowered, because when I put them on I'll be putting a set of Eibachs on at the same time. I'd rather not spend an extra $250 on KYB's, and I already have these.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I purchased a set of brand-new KYB's on eBay back in April for $149 (with free shipping, I think!) for all 4 shocks. I have them on my 1997 Thunderbird Sport with Vogtland 1" drop sport springs and have no problems with them.

I also had Gabriel Ultra shocks and struts installed on a car I used to have back in 2004, a 1997 Ford Taurus. I was very pleased with their ride and handling.

Dennis

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to run those on the front of my bird with eibach 1.5 springs.
They ride fine for you? I just want to make sure they won't turn out like I've heard Monroes do when lowered.

I purchased a set of brand-new KYB's on eBay back in April for $149 (with free shipping, I think!) for all 4 shocks. I have them on my 1997 Thunderbird Sport with Vogtland 1" drop sport springs and have no problems with them.

I also had Gabriel Ultra shocks and struts installed on a car I used to have back in 2004, a 1997 Ford Taurus. I was very pleased with their ride and handling.

Dennis
I just checked ebay, and there are still listings for $149 with free shipping... I considered it but since I already have these I'd like to go ahead and use them, since they are still new.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
They're soft, IMHO.

I'm buying Konis when I waste these.

Really want to waste a set of shocks? Put Sport springs on them...

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Its been a long time, but I remember that with the springs and these new shocks, it rode so much better than stock.

I put them on at 60,000 miles, and took them off somwhere in the 90,000 ish miles.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
Just to add my Eibach springs and the Tokico Blues work great so far :) Rides a bit better than the OEM and handles much better as well :) Have heard the Tokicos being flamed here before but are working great for me

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Surely they can't be softer than these very worn out originals I have? Any improvement on that is still an improvement to me.
No, they are better than the ones I took off, but not as good as the (Cheaper) Monroes I bought for the Black Car.

I like my shocks stiff, YMMV. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts