TCCoA Forums banner

gains from manual swap?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  The Great Obucina 
#1 ·
I have heard of people gaining like 20-40HP from a manual swap. Is this true or just what they feel? I am thinking of doing a 5 or 6 speed swap but I have no $ at the time. I looked into it and the t45 t56 t6 and the m5r2 are the only manuals that can be used on a 4.6? And the last question is it I were to get a junkyard trans out of a mustaang would it need to be rebuilt? My power goal is 300 rwhp.

#4 ·
A manual may show a slight gain on the dyno, but you'll probably, at best, see the same times down the 1/4 as with the automatic.. You just can't shift as fast as a properly done automatic. The fun factor with the manual, however, is right up there. I'm not entirely sure how stout the T45 is.. but you may be pushing it's capablities with 300rwhp. The M5R2 might be slightly better.. but it's often called a truck transmission. the 3550/3560 or TKO might be where you need to look with those power goals.

#9 ·
Below 300 hp, I think a manual swap would be better than a stock AODE 4r70w at the strip with a good driver and very sticky tires. Above a certain power level, manuals just are hard to handle on the strip unless you have the perfect setup.

Like Darrin said, if you replace the converter and strengthen the tranny, I'd bet the auto would beat the manual in most cases in the 1/4 mile.

Road racing and street fun is a different story.

#11 ·
ncoop23 said:
I have heard of people gaining like 20-40HP from a manual swap. Is this true or just what they feel? I am thinking of doing a 5 or 6 speed swap but I have no $ at the time. I looked into it and the t45 t56 t6 and the m5r2 are the only manuals that can be used on a 4.6? And the last question is it I were to get a junkyard trans out of a mustaang would it need to be rebuilt? My power goal is 300 rwhp.

if you honestly want a solid T45 and pick a used one up cheap, Jeff at nitrostangracing.com rebuilds them and could probably do a slightly custom gearset for it.
http://www.nitrostangracing.com/PMT45.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.