TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The E-fan should be here today. My clutch fan took a crap. I recently yanked the a/c and smog pump... but we left the a/c condensor in front of the radiator because the clutch fan wouldn't come out too easily.

I plan to rip out the a/c condensor, put in the mk8 fan and wire a switch to it so I can turn it on myself. I'd also like to wire it to the tstat so I can maintain a little bit of luxury in the car, and not have to do everything myself.

I know the car will run really cool now, but will I get any performance gains from less drag on the motor? 1-2 tenths maybe? I'd like to see a 15 flat in the quarter after this.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Where did you order your fan from? How much? I've been thinking of ditching the clutch fan also and summer sure is getting hot here in FL.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
I went with the 18" Flex-A-Lite fan and it worked out great. It moves a hell of a lot more air then the old clutch fan. Even on the hottest days with the AC running the temp never goes up more than halfway. The switch also gave back a bit more power so for my .02 cents its a winner.

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
But if you want to go Electronic, Since mark Went with an acctuall flex Fan, I don't openly suggest the MarkVIII set up it draws way to many amps, find another Fan set up that comes witha a shroud but draws less then 15 amps while running , the Mark VIII set up draws as much as 75 running and 110 Starting , man thats alot!!!

Jim

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's all good... I've got a 120amp alternator on the way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Right but you don't want that alt doing nothing but powering the fan huh?

Jim :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
The mark Viii fan is one of if not the best setup. I had a Permacool 16" fan with custom shroud, the car woul overheat in traffic here in dallas, i now have a black majic fan. It dosnt overheat in traffic anymore as long as i keep the a/c off. For proof that the mark fan is sweet ass just ask lonnie doll. i have a fan from a 02 CV that i need to stick in before the nats so i can be sure that it keeps cool

Josh

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
ok, now what

ok, so its been established that the MK8 fan is perhaps our best option as far as E-fans go. Now, where the heck do I get one!?!? Am I doomed to wandering the junkyards of Tucson until I find one (not that junkyarding is that horrible of a fate), or is there some mystic OE company out there that can send a brand new one to my door? And what other parts (if any) are recquired for this to go smoothly (such as temp senders/switches etc). I'm sure this has been covered over and over again in another post, but I appear to have missed it.......... so, if you dont especially mind reurgitating some information :D

The Bastard

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somebody here on tccoa sold me mine. I had to buy all the wiring and the switch though. I got an adjustable fan switch from autozone for about $30, toggle switch for $3, and all the wiring for bout $5.

Make sure you use 10 guage wire and a powerful fuse.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Talk to Dan Newman at five star ford if your a member.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts