TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I'm filling in the gas cap door on the car, we had to come up with a way to put gas in it. We've cut out a hole in the inner fender in the trunk and are putting a Bullitt gas cap in there.

These pics are just of the trial fit. We'll smooth out the carpet stuff before it's finished so it won't look all bunched up and wrinkled.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
:zwthstpd: that is one of the coolest ideas i've seen in a long time.. almost makes up for you taking off all the side molding :leftright i still think ya should have left the side molding, but just filled in the ridges like you did on the front bumper.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
hehe I was thinkin the same thing

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
ahhhh..... Put it in the DASH just like the Winabego in "Spaceballs" so you can dump a can of "Liquid Schwarts" in the tank while on the go for some extra kick.:thumbsup:

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
LIQUID SCHWARTZ NAWWWWWWWWWWWWZZZZZ!!!
:uppoint: :uppoint: :uppoint: :uppoint: :uppoint: :uppoint:

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JSGAuto said:
Yea good idea. But if gas drips won't it get in you trunk? Causing everything to smell like gas?
Yeah, I thought about that, but I figure since it's not a daily driver, it won't be THAT bad. I keep a roll of blue shop towels in the trunk anyway, so I just hold one under the end of the nozzle when I fill up. No biggie really. I'll just have to be more careful than normal. But I do think it's just awesome looking.

The body work is all basically on schedule. They should be shooting the color coat on Tuesday and clear on Wednesday. Sand and buff on Thursday/Friday. Friday afternoon it heads to the garage to have the shocks/springs installed on Saturday. Then Sunday it's photo time!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That's cool :).

Yep, you just have to be a bit more careful then normal.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics, as I have a body job to do next spring, and want to take some cues from your car (shaved handles, gas cap, mouldings, etc.).

Kevin.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Going to the voice of dissent on this one...

I don't know about opening the trunk every time I fill up. And any spillage, or backsplash if the tank is filled... I don't know how much breathing, if any, that happens around the cap... but if there is, it's going to be trapped in the truck area. That doesn't sound safe to me.

What about hiding it behind the license plate like some cars do?

Looks cool, but...:zdunno:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hmmm, you fill up, close the trunk. (fumes are captured inside). You get in and start the car. The stereo amp coming on ignites the fumes... BOOM.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Re: Going to the voice of dissent on this one...

CyLum said:
What about hiding it behind the license plate like some cars do?
think about that, and then ask again :)

behind the license plate.. uhhhh, where? it'd STILL be in the trunk..

i saw a new beetle that someone modified the gas tank to be under the taillight.. the light hinges open to reveal the tank nozzle.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Re: Re: Going to the voice of dissent on this one...

8ate8 said:

think about that, and then ask again :)

behind the license plate.. uhhhh, where? it'd STILL be in the trunk..

i saw a new beetle that someone modified the gas tank to be under the taillight.. the light hinges open to reveal the tank nozzle.
thats like the old '56 chevys.

my only question would be can you actually get the pump handle in there to fill it? with the wierd design of some of the newer gas nosles that might not fit in there with the hose and all. i dunno.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
What about putting it on the top of the trunk like older cars?
Like this...

The only problem is you will need to make it come up though the trunk, then make some type of seal so when the trunk is closed its sealed but so you can still open the trunk too. I think it might work really good. Just might look like crap on a Tbird.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Okay, I thought about it again...

think about that, and then ask again
When I was younger, I remember seeing a lot of cars with it behind the license plate. The plate was on a hinge at the bottom of a license plate frame, and when you wanted to fill up, you just tilted the plate forward and there was the cap.

It's actually a cleaner design when you think about it. No extra seams or doors on the fender.:xpsmile: Which fits in with what Sir William is doing with his car anyway.

I guess my main point would be to not encourage people to put it in the trunk, it just feels like an unnecessary risk... but that's just me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Okay, I thought about it again...
Then you'd realize that we don't have F bodies. Our liscence plates are mounted on our trunks. The cars your thinking of have the liscence plates mounted to the body. Your missing the point of why it wouldn't work. :2huh:

·
Registered
118 Posts
gotta love them 69 chargers, ill have one hemi orange with a flag on top and a giant 01 on the doors :D

anywho, yeah looks cool sir W.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts