TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking itno replacing my factory '95 SC's gas cap. It has the release from the inside. I'm looking for a billet design of any sort. Has anyone had luck with the ones that fit mustangs? The one on the main page looks good, what year of t-bird is that?

·
Registered
970 Posts
dude, I'm all about the clean look...I say shave your gas cap and go without one. A gas cap is totaly over-rated in my opinion.

:) just kidding. Anyways, yeah quite a few people on here have put the Mustang Bullit ones on. The problem is, they are sorta expensive now. They used to be $20, but ford wised up and jacked up the price. Be sure you want it though...because once you put it on, there is no going back! It requires a bit of work, but it's not horrible.

The is a guy on here...I honestly forget his name, but he has a Black 5.0L LX thunderbird (i think it's a 1991) with SC ground effects and the Saleen S281 rear wing. On his website he has step-by-step instructions on putting the Bullit Gas Cap on.

Pretty sweet, hope someone can help with his name though.

Later,
-danimal

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's Me! Bullit Door Instructions

How to install a Bullit Mustang Fuel Door on a Thunderbird

1. Unbolt and remove the original fuel door. You will see a notch in the opening, which allows the hinge to clear the fender. You must extend this notch approximately ¼ to 3/8 inch towards the front of the car from the top to the bottom of the notch. You can do this by cutting the material completely out with a cutting wheel, or do as I did and use snips on the top and bottom of the notch and bend the excess material back into the opening. Paint as necessary to prevent rust. Remove the two rubber bumpers and discard. Also remove the three screws holding the gas pocket to the fender and replace them with Phillips head screws so they won’t hold the door out from the body..
2. The Bullitt fuel door comes with torx screws for mounting, but I thought they looked cheesy, and I don’t think they are threaded enough, so I bought six 10-24 stainless steel allen head cap screws. You need 6 that are at least ¾” long. I made the top and bottom screws dummies by putting nuts on the back of the frame and ground the screws off flush with the nuts. You have to enlarge the holes in the door to fit the 10-24 screws. Also the heads of the screws won’t be flush but I didn’t care.
3. On the back of the door's frame are two plastic c-shaped pieces held on by two of the torx screws. Remove and discard these as well as the screws. Next to the hinge are two bosses 1/4 “ high that the screws pass through. Grind these bosses down so they are 1/8” high.
4. After modifying the opening in the fender, hold the door up to the opening and mark the four holes on each side with a pencil. Decide whether you want to use nuts on the screws in side the opening or tap into the sheetmetal. Center punch each mark and drill the appropriate size hole. If you want to screw into the body use a tap to thread the sheetmetal. Since the two holes opposite the hinge do not have bosses like the hinge side and the top and bottom screws have nuts on the back you need to add small washers between the door and the body to shim it out. If you don’t the frame will bend. Install the four screws and stand back and admire the view.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, that polished billet looks nice against the black paint.

Where's a good place to get one of those gas caps?
Anyone know the manufacturer name and part number or is just for 86-93 mustang or something.

Thanks,
Nate
91 5.0

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Thanks Mike Donely....

I used your link and bought that one off of E-Bay.So now I will have one soon also.I am going to sand it down and polish it.I have Chrome Cobra Rs so it would look good on there.Thanks,
Chris

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Search this thread.....

Ryan A Harris said:
Thank you gentelmen, you have been a great help.
I had the same question a couple weeks ago about a Billet Gas Cap.Check through here and see if you can find it.It also had some info that you might like.
I started it so just look for my name.Lx-tasy
Thanks,
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts