TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
96 4.6 Bird

After topping off I noticed a small smell of gas fumes in the car while driving and idling at a stop light. After half a tank is gone the fumes go away. I'm leaning towards the EVAP canister, maybe a line is rotted away. Anyone have this problem before?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Probably not evap if it goes away after 1/2 tank. You probably have a crack on the mount for the tank sheild...its about half way up the tank.

SWS

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Or like mine I found the pump/sender gasket was leaking.
X2. But it depends on if the smell is in the front (engine bay) or towards the rear.

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
Did you get some gas on your hands when pumping? :tongue:

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also make sure the filler neck is secured and doesn't have any holes or obstructions.
I did some sniffing around and I can smell the gas coming around the tank and neck area. I'll try and see what's up with it today.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sometimes the brazing at the hard lines coming out of the fuel pump hat crack.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The common fail is the vent line that crosses over the driveshaft; Crystal pistol did a post on it last spring, IIRC.

It's at the front of the tank, on top of the drive shaft.

You can reach it without dropping the tank, barely; You have to pull one side to drop the tank.

Here you go:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=135904

The evap lines go too, but that smell is usually inside the car, or at the front.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found you!

This small hose cracked near the EVAP canister causing my problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
Good deal!

Where on the car is that located?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct. This is the same hose that goes up to the intake. So this would also be a vacuum leak.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
There are several pieces of hose, iirc that have to be replaced...

One at the canister is bigger on one end than the other. :)

There's a small piece on the frame rail that splices the two long sections together, and one under the inlet tube at the valve cover.

This is a drag if the car is together... :)

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
check the gasket on the top of the tank for the evap fitting my friend chris had the same problem we thought it was the sendor one and it was not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts