TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 olds delta 88 royal brougham,4 door,307 v-8 & get 15 city/20 highway.My 90 tbird,v-6,3.8 gets 14 city/20 highway.Both cars are fine tuned & run good.I expected the v-6 tbird to get better gas milage plus its a smaller car.Can anyone tell me why the mpg is pretty much the same on both cars yet the olds is a boat & a v-8 (small block/307) ? Whats the length & total weight of a 90 t-bird ? (I dont know the length/weight of the olds). Both cars have tranny OD & are loaded (tbird has more options).

·
5,650 Posts
Something isn't right with the T-Bird or the driver, that's the short answer. Unless you drive it in traffic or like a bat out of hell every time you have open road in front of you, you should be seeing at least 24 on the highway. If you do drive it nicely, something's wrong with the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drive the speed limits.Both car have orig size tires.Im not the only one who gets 14/20.A mechanic told me the reason i get 14/20 is cause the car is heavy.The car runs & idles good.Im just stumped on the mpg.

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
I believe the car weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,500-3,750 lbs. Recently I'm getting about the same MPG as you've been getting: 14-16 city and 20-23 highway. I suspect it's mostly seasonal though. In summer I get 18-22 city and 24-30 highway; this is with the V8.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I get around 25+ highway and I dog my 3.8 at times..Thats with 18's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts