TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, has anyone else, other than Black_Cat and I been getting crappy gas mileage lately? I fueled up the other day and my average mileage was 14 mpg. All mods are in my sig, of course. This driving was done mostly around town with seldom highway driving. My fuel needle didn't use to move until 50 miles in. Now, it starts dropping after 20 miles. Is it really just the heat lately? Fuel trims are very neutral. EGR is on and O2's are only a couple years old.

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Mine's been sucking the last week also in the Malibu. Dropped from 25+ to about 21 mostly highway.

Then again, the Cylinder 5 Misfire is getting worse ...

RwP

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mileage has been consistently low all summer. Everything is in good running order too.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
It could possibly be the "Corn ethanol" mixed in, Luckily we have a local station that has ethanol free, The wife's tarsus gets better mileage on the ethanol free.

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Mine's actually been up. Seeing 20-22 in the Bird and 22-28 in the Mark VIII. I just adjusted the shift/lockup schedule and EGR tables on the Bird and according to the scangauge it's up about 10%... now about 22-24. :tongue:

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could possibly be the "Corn ethanol" mixed in, Luckily we have a local station that has ethanol free, The wife's tarsus gets better mileage on the ethanol free.
I've been using the same E10 gasoline since it has been introduced and that's all that there is here locally. My gas mileage has been slowly decreasing even though sensors and stuff like that have been replaced due to age. Even the tune has been leaned out since fuel trims were cutting fuel almost out to it's adaptive limits. I think my carbureted Mustang is getting better fuel mileage, to be honest. I'm almost at a loss as to what's killing it. Not like I'm flooring it every chance I get.

·
Super Moderator
16,833 Posts
Mine sucks too. Usually 16 overall(mostly city) and I got an average of 20 with 40/60 city/highway recently. Seems like I've witnessed a global drop of about 3 mpg without changing anything on the car(if anything it should have gone up).

Although, weirdly, while I can't seem to do better than that, I can't seem to get worse than that either. Hypermiling or flogging, it doesn't matter.

Mine's actually been up. Seeing 20-22 in the Bird and 22-28 in the Mark VIII. I just adjusted the shift/lockup schedule and EGR tables on the Bird and according to the scangauge it's up about 10%... now about 22-24. :tongue:
Street shift /lock schedules are the tuning roller coaster I'm constantly through. It's a tricky balance finding the best settings that are both comfortable, economical and fun and making it all work seamlessly with the right inputs. I want a T-56 so bad! lol

·
pendejo
430 Posts
Mine's been low, the Mark probably needs a tune up anyways I cleaned the maf, replaced the plugs but I still get a miss sometimes I'm just not crazy about replacing 8 coil packs, and hoping it's not injectors...

I was getting 19.5mpg That was aggressive mixed driving with 4.10's I recently switched back to the stock 3.07 gears because of an extremely bad vibration in the diff.... Guess what, I'm still getting 19.5 wtf. Plus my car's lowered now. shouldn't it be more aerodynamic.

still I'm reluctant to look into it any further after all the Lincoln is a basic family beater car that's had a ton of body work. I do use it as a working parts storage vehicle just waiting to be stripped down for my next Cougar.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
I've had 255/55/16 on the back since it's been on springs front is still the crappy Michelin harmony 225/60/16 tires that were on it when I bought it. I haven't had the Tokico springs in very long but the tire size hasn't changed, I put the springs in on the same day the 4.10 gears came out.

Without low gears and a limited slip diff I know the tires aren't doing anything but hurting my fuel economy, but I'm disappointed that there was no real improvement after the diff swap and the tune being changed.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hey, has anyone else, other than Black_Cat and I been getting crappy gas mileage lately? I fueled up the other day and my average mileage was 14 mpg. All mods are in my sig, of course. This driving was done mostly around town with seldom highway driving. My fuel needle didn't use to move until 50 miles in. Now, it starts dropping after 20 miles. Is it really just the heat lately? Fuel trims are very neutral. EGR is on and O2's are only a couple years old.
I have to agree with you . My mileage has been going down also, and mines a 3.8 I used to get about 300-325 a tank in town driving and lately about 270-285.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was gettin decent gas mileage til I did the cop conversion. I have to double check. In most cases I've seen a gas mileage drop on something simple as low or uneven aired tires or a dirty air filter but now I'm still checking it

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Street shift /lock schedules are the tuning roller coaster I'm constantly through. It's a tricky balance finding the best settings that are both comfortable, economical and fun and making it all work seamlessly with the right inputs.
Absolutely. It would probably be easier for me if I wasn't so adamant about locking the converter in 2nd at more than just WOT, but I have the feeling that's what did the majority of the fuel economy boosting around town. Tweaking, tweaking, tweaking... But oh is it fun! :D

·
̇
3,702 Posts
We have a Truck Stop locally that has ethanol-free fuel as well..I wasn't aware of this until recently..

My truck gets worse gas mileage with ethanol-free..My wifes van seems to do better with the stuff..

Go figure.. :zdunno:

I have yet to fill up the Sport with the ethanol-free...I need to burn through this tank of gas it has in it now..lol..I'll keep you posted..

(Petrol II has Ethanol-Free Fuel)

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Mine has been the same since getting the tranny 17.9 up from 14.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been driving without A/C and managed about 18-20mpg driving in small roads and city driving.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cleaned my MAF again and replaced my spark plugs. I noticed things were a little smoother. Hopefully it'll make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Although, weirdly, while I can't seem to do better than that, I can't seem to get worse than that either. Hypermiling or flogging, it doesn't matter.
you need my supercoaster tune settings :tongue:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts