TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife comes home tonight and asks where I filled the Tbird with gas because somebody left the gas filler door open. That is strange because the bird didn't move today and I thought for a second, so I went out and started the car, the car had over 3/4 of a tank of gas in it last night but now only had a 1/4, so now I am thinking how did I burn half a tank of fuel.

I know that I didn't, somebody siphoned my gas!

I am a little upset that this happened, so I asked my wife about the GTP this morning but she left it almost empty yesterday so they didn't get much or anything out of it. They may not even have touched it, anyway I went out and got locking gas caps for the two cars and put them on in the -30 degrees Celsuis that it is here right now.

My neighbours were a little curious as to what I was doing to the cars out in the cold. So I talked to a few of them and none of them had this happen to them so I am even more ticked because it didn't happen to anyone else on the block and nobody else has locking gas caps on their cars either.

I do live in the nicer area of the city. So I don't know what to think. Why would you siphone gas out of a Tbird and not a Lexus, it doesn't make sense.

I just had to air this out!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Some people...

Man! That sucks. I guess this is one case where I'm glad I really have no neighbors, and for living in the middle of nowhere.

I hope you find who it is, cus that is totally unexceptable.

-Tim

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Hey, I agree!!

That's a bunch of bull and totally unacceptable. I'm like Tim though. Like to see 'em try it at my house!! What "LIL Billy" don't get I'll have the rest of with my peacemaker. But I do have a locking gas cap just the same and mine sits in the garage as well. If they are that brave, they're just plain stupid.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had a problem with that one summer a few years ago.

I took a 104db "Back-up Alarm" (the kind you put on a commerical vehicle) and mounted it under the car next to the rear bumper. Then I wired it to a door jam switch that i mounted behind the gas door.

The next time someone opened the gas door it went off and I cought the little ba$tard. I never turned him into the police, Lets just say his hands hurt for a few weeks and leave it at that!

BTW, when I wired it up, i put a toggle switch in the trunk so I could shut it off when I was filling up!

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Some people here don't have the remote opening gas door I see. I never liked it at first, but it's cheap insurance. And if I were to catch someone doing that in my yard the Smith & Wesson would come out...but first you need to be awake and looking outside.

·
Registered
343 Posts
TurboCat said:
Some people here don't have the remote opening gas door I see. I never liked it at first, but it's cheap insurance. And if I were to catch someone doing that in my yard the Smith & Wesson would come out...but first you need to be awake and looking outside.
I thought that was a standard option I have it on my SC and my LX.....

You learn something every day.

·
Registered
722 Posts
One other thing ........

When using a locking gas cap in cold climate ALWAYS keep a good lock deicer with you in the car.

Siloo and several other companys make one in a pressurized tube (pocket size) for about 3 bucks.

This will save you A LOT of hassle when the moisture freezes your lock and you cant get it off to fill up.

Either that or, keep a big hammer and a long screwdriver in the truck so you can punch the lock out of the cap when it freezes ........... I've done both, the latter one came first, then I bought the deicer! :eek:

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip on the lock de-icer. I forgot all about that, that would really suck to show up and try to get gas and the lock would be frozen only to pay an arm and a leg for de-icer at the gas station.

I would love to catch who did it, but unless they try again, I probably won't.

Anyway thanks guys for letting me air this out!

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
MadDog2020 said:

I thought that was a standard option I have it on my SC and my LX.....

You learn something every day.
That was deleted on the 96-97s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts